chromatic abrasion - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 23rd, 2009, 01:36 PM   #16
Regular Crew

OK - I'm going out on a limb here and may well display my ignorance on the technical realities - flame protecting suit is on.

Canon (dslr) and some others produce stunning high resolution still images with their optics and capture block. They sport a FULL 35mm sensor with FULL CONTROL capturing resolution way way beyond 1920.

Enter HD video with the need to capture 24 frames per second for extended clips and go to larger ccd sensors or faster cmos to avoid jello vision. The larger zoom ratios may be causing the problem (my dslr are like 3x at most) - perhaps we need less zoom and better CA performance.

Why can not SONY or Panasonic get it all together in a package? Might that prosumer ($7,000 give or take) camera eat into their much higher end cameras and erode their corporate profit margin? I think so. If the prosumer end gets much better there may be far fewer willing to pay the ultra high premiums for the pro line. Thus, we appear to get "compromised " releases. I fully believe the capability more than exists to manufacture global shutter cmos or to cool larger ccd sensors or to produce CA free zoom lenses at 10x or so.

Last edited by Rick Bolton; June 23rd, 2009 at 08:20 PM.
Rick Bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:01 PM   #17
Major Player

well I always said for the last 20 years to pick the lens with the less zoom range, you tend to get a better image (given same brand and price range) with a lens that doesn't try to do as much.....

Lenses are a combination of compromises. Fixed focal length lenses have some compromises and zooms have more. The more zoom range, the more compromises. Though a $8,000 lens usually looks killer by anyone's yard stick regardless of range... At that price manufacturers rarely make lemons.... rarely....... (why do I think of Aliens... "they mostly come at night....... mostly...")

CA exists EVEN on a fixed focal length $3,000 35mm lens.. you just don't see it easily.

I would prefer to have a shorter zoom range, or even just a digital readout in the viewfinder to remind me of my range so I know where not to pass in my range if I get distracted.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Alex - '... you just don't see it easily ..." - sooooooo important.

I've been using a lil Canon HF 100 to educate myself into HD video. To some extent, the pixel peeping, tech specs, and internet video samples have both educated me and clouded my decision making (or lack there of) relative to the next HD video purchase.

When I took the SDHC card from the HF 100 and played it through our Panasonic BluRay on our Panasonic Viera - WOW - stunning clarity / color / detail. Several of the locked down clips would stack up with the best I've seen from Discovery HD or Animal Planet HD. That is NOT a comment on any skill I may have but rather what this equipment is capable of - even on auto function.

My plan is to wait a bit longer to see what Canon comes up with next - and to see the reviews of the Canon 14x on the JVC 700.

At days end it is about the image / composition / flow / planning / .......
Rick Bolton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems