JVC GY-HD200 and JVC - HZ-CA13U at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 21st, 2009, 08:04 AM   #1
New Boot

JVC GY-HD200 and JVC - HZ-CA13U

Hi,
This is my first post here.

I have been searching and lurking on sites like this to learn as much
as i could about DOF adapters and decided to purchase
a JVC HZ-CA13U relay lens and a set
of used prime lenses (16mm or 35mm not sure which to get)

I have purchased Tim Dashwoods DVD on the JVC Pro HD cameras and cannot
wait to get it.

I am a newbie at all of this so i will most likely ask lots of dumb questions.

I am amazed at all the knowledge and help people provide on this website and hope
one day to be a contributor myself.

My question is related to purchasing a set of used prime lenses to go with the HD200 and
the relay system.

I have read about the lower priced LOMO lenses and Zeiss primes.

Can anyone tell me what a good starter set is and a reputable used cine equipment seller?

I am mainly going to shoot music videos.

James
James Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 09:51 PM   #2
Wrangler

Welcome James. I just checked and your DVD should arrive early next week.

I would start by googling "used PL lenses" and check out rental houses that are selling off old PL lenses. Reputable rental houses will have maintained the lenses as best as they could. Film school lenses are usually in rough shape. You will only need standard 16mm coverage, but super-16 or 35mm coverage is even better (but more expensive.)
For music videos old standard speed (T2.1) Zeiss primes will serve you well, even though they are not as sharp as the modern lenses. High speed lenses (T1.3) don't add any exposure benefit when used with the HZ-CA13U because the calculated maximum usable aperture is F/2.8. There are other threads that go into the details of the physics behind the adapter if you are curious. I also mention it in my article.

I've used the Zeiss Standard speed lenses quite a bit. About half of the work in this reel was shot with them. HZ-CA13U COPLA Cine Optical PL Adapter Demo Loop on Vimeo

The Lomo lenses are interesting (vignetting) if the PL conversion was done properly. Backfocus can be a problem if the mount isn't set properly. I have a Russion converted lens which is great fun, but the backfocus on the PL mount is way off. The lens technician at Clairmont put it up on the projector and tried to figure it out but gave up. I don't really care because it was cheap and has that Russian/Lomo look I was talking about, but go for something better if you want to shoot anything other than music videos.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 07:57 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Tim! you are quite the info powerhouse!..
The video samples you have on vimeo are really cool!
Can't wait to get your DVD
James Patrick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems