Will STEADICAM FLYER- PRO KIT be enough for HD200? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old August 2nd, 2009, 05:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Will STEADICAM FLYER- PRO KIT be enough for HD200?

Hello,

I've seen on ebay a guy selling his STEADICAM FLYER- PRO KIT for about 2700 euros + shipping (3.300 with shipping). In the specs he says that the load capacity is 15 lbs, that is almost 7 kg. My camera is a HD200, and with battery it weights about 5 kg.

I want to buy also some 35mm adapter, so this will add more weight to the cam. Do these steadicam systems have some more load capacity that the one specified in the instructions? Or when it reaches the load capacity it doesn't work anymore (don't know what a overloaded steadi looks like, it goes down or what?)

Thank you.

Jordi
Jordi Dusanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2009, 08:43 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Jordi,

Yes the flyer will work perfectly. Even when equipped with the 13x4.2BRM lens, Bebob Leo, Bebob Light and IDX 5HD video transmitter
Old August 2nd, 2009, 01:34 PM   #3
Wrangler

Jordi:

The payload is designated as the maximum weight one can add to the Flyer before the springs can no longer lift the rig adequately. Once you go beyond that point, the arm will hang low and you have to start to bear some lifting force yourself. As long as the arm doesn't hang bottomed out (i.e. it is just overloaded) this is somewhat manageable but not ideal. Also there are a bit of variations in the springs and architecture of a given arm; you might find that you can actually carry a bit more weight than the stated payload, or possibly a bit less.

Back in the day we used to add surgical tubing and other "helpers" to squeeze out a few more pounds of lift out of an arm. However, once you go beyond the "safe" payload, you also risk overloading the gimbal to the point where the yoke may crack, also the vest may torque excessively etc. Again, a small percentage over won't kill you but if you try to cheat things too far, it could cause problems.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 04:28 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I've now found ways to shed a little weight from this set up and the new Flyer arm has a bit more load capacity but this is my JVC HD111E with older and heavier Mini 35, BFD wireless focus, Dr-HD100 etc. The arm had just reached its maximum payload.

This set up, despite not being very well dynamically balanced, was very easy to operate due to all the extra inertia created by the heavy load and it's large "footprint".

Steadicam Flyer professional rig for lightweight cameras with JVC HD111E on feature film
Phil Balsdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 03:55 PM   #5
New Boot

I own a Steadicam Flyer LE with a weight capacity of 19lbs and a GY HD-250 and I am nowhere near the weight limit. I think you should be fine with a older 15 pound capacity arm unless your adding heavy follow focus or matte box. I have owned my Flyer LE for a year and it is really flying great now...just takes time and a workshop and I recommend the Opererators Handbook, you can order at Tiffen website
Mark Cowherd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems