MTF adatper and Nikon lenses, Good? Depends upon lens. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 8th, 2010, 11:43 AM   #16
Major Player

Revisited my DX lenses recently and looked online at some lens testing sites.

Nikkor DX 55-200mm VR tested with Nikon D80 full review Cameralabs corner sharpness results

is a good place to start looking.

Short story if I use my old MF Nikon/Nikkor lenses F4 to F5.6 is the sweet spot as is similar to most 1/3 and 1/2 and 2/3 video lenses. HOWEVER using these newer DX lenses I was finding that F stops around F16 where much better corner to corner at both wide and full tele. So if your using the DX lenses, try stopping them down some more. I looked at the website above at the other Nikon, Sigma, Tokinas and Tamron reviews and most seem to have the best over all image stopped down. So it's probably another reason to seek out the older MF or high end older 35m AF lenses so you can keep your sweet spot closer to f4 or f5.6.

Of course telling everyone means we start fighting over the older MF lenses more. I saw BH have old school 50mm Nikkor for $500?? These used to be given away with the cameras. Let hope more people dump their 20 year old gear in favor of DX DSLR's so we can swoop on some top quality glass. That being said my DX lenses at f11 to f16 seem to perform pretty well on my DSLR so I don't really put my MF or older AF lenses on the newer body.

hope that helps anyone experimenting with DX and full frame 35mm AF/MF lenses out there.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 09:27 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Thought you might be interested in this footage that I just shot using the MTF adapter on a JVC HD100 with a 70-300mm f/4.5 Nikon lens.

Stefan Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 07:25 AM   #18
New Boot

very cool

Alex,

Nice stuff! I was wondering does the MTF flip the image, and does the HD110 have a viewer flip function?
Clay Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 07:54 AM   #19
Regular Crew

No to both questions. The MTF is just an adapter ring, there's no optics in it.
Stefan Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 08:01 AM   #20
New Boot

right on

Thanks Stefan, I confused the posts with Alex. Nice images, and I like the work you posted on Vimeo. Very nicely shot and informative work on jazz.

Best,

Clay
Clay Morton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems