Fitting GY-HD101E into a Kata CC-195 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old August 26th, 2009, 02:55 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Fitting GY-HD101E into a Kata CC-195

I bought a CC-195, and trying to work out the best way to fit the camera in.

It doesnt seem as good as the picture/text make out on the product documentation....

Using the supplied 'lens cushion' means the camera isnt level/stable, and the mic sticks out the top.

Any pictures/suggestions would be ace.

Cheers
Tim Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 03:52 PM   #2
Major Player

I have squeezed my HD100 (with Anton Bauer adapter) into a Kata CC-193, which is a bit smaller than the CC-195. This worked well as a airplane carry-on.

Basically, I removed the battery and the A/B Firestore bracket. This gave me a snug fit, with the stock 16x lens still attached. If I left the viewfinder attached, but pushed in to its closest setting, I could -- just -- close the zipper. However, I was worried about pressure on the viewfinder, so I ended up detaching it and stuffing it next to the lens.

My recollection is that I wrapped the A/B bricks in the Kata velcro dividers and put them on either side of the body of the camera to provide some padding on either side of the camera body. Then I just cinched the strap tight around the body and left it at that. I didn't do anything special for the lens, as it was a snug fit front-to back. Worked fine as a carryon, but I wouldn't use this setup if you were going to let baggage carriers or TSA handle the camera.

I would think with the 195, you'd have a little bit more room to work with. You might need to stuff some cloth or chamois around the camera to pad it a bit.
Old August 26th, 2009, 04:48 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Brian

I think the key is to remove the mic - but the promotional pics... show the cam, viewfinder, mic and even the additional battery pack/firestore attachment on.
http://www.thebackpackplace.com/file...aded/cc195.jpg
Tim Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2009, 05:39 AM   #4
Major Player

Are you using the stock mike? I left the mike on and it worked O.K. I have a Rycote dead cat on mine, so there was a bit of extra padding.

I think you can either take off the mike or the viewfinder. Either one will probably give you a bit more room side-to-side. You could try it without the "lens cushion." The CC-193 didn't come with one.

Last edited by Brian Standing; August 27th, 2009 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Added new info
Brian Standing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 02:08 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I use the Kata BP502 for my HM700, I think this will be the best solution for all JVC ProHD-Cams.
Eric Deyerler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems