DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Fixing Firewire & Fuse on JVC cams (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/337001-fixing-firewire-fuse-jvc-cams.html)

Ted Ramasola August 29th, 2009 02:57 PM

Fixing Firewire & Fuse on JVC cams

1 Attachment(s)
First let me say that this is NOT a DIY instruction on how to fix your units but rather
a reference for you so in case your tucked in a place far from JVC service center like
I am, you can tell a qualified technician what to look for.

Our facility's optics and electronics are sometimes serviced by my cousin who runs an
electronic shop and camera repair shop so I first took our HD100 when it suddenly won't
turn on when i replaced it battery. He opened it up and replaced a pcb fuse. This is so tiny
I shot a foto of it using macro filters. (refer to attached.) surprisingly he had a replacement
for it in stock. Now take note that this is a repair shop on an island province in the central
Phil. So I guess this must be a "relatively common" item in similar shops in your area.

Second repair which is a common problem with these units is the flimsy firewire port.
I use a firestore so i have a cable always attached to the cam. This easily subjects
this port to constant strain and possible damage. My port started to exhibit problems
when I suddenly cannot record to FS, and it would hang or turn off. I had to load a
tape into the cam to continue shooting.

Back at my studio, I noticed my PC has problems seeing the cam via firewire. Sometimes
it sees it and when i jingle the cable it gets cut off. Finally, after several jingling of the
cable it couldnt see it at all. I also noticed the port itself has some play when I hold and
try to move it.

Taking it to my cousin, we opened it up and thats when i realized how easily it can be
damaged. The port is supported only by its extended contacts which is soldered to a
piece of PCB which in turn is srewed onto the casing.

Please take care of your ports cause it is an accident waiting to happen. If you may,
you can perhaps prevent this by having your cam opened and reinforce this port.

In my case after we soldered all the contacts which came loose, we applied hot glue
around the port, we sometimes call this as a glue gun, building it up to firmly attach it
to the PCB. Hot glue is non-conductant and can, with care, still be removed for future
adjustments if any.

I hope you guys will find this helpful.

Ted

Robert Adams August 30th, 2009 02:33 PM

Good stuff111

Thanks Ted - that's the kind of thing that those of us who work a long way from the nearest repair shop REALLY appreciate this board for!

Doesn't fix the problem of a "blown" firewire port, but certainly suggests that the equipment can be reinforced to avoid physical damage.

So thanks again, bud. Good work.

R

Paul Pelalas September 21st, 2009 06:42 PM

Add me to the blown firewire party. And the unfunny part was it happened after working with another camera op who had a 200 and asked if my 100 ever had a problem with the firewire. I told him no, I've been extra careful with it for all these years. An hour later at home going to offload footage, boom, it happened.

After reading all reading the previous posts about blown firewire, Brian mentioned his repair was around $425 because his 100 was a later version which the firewire chip is not permanently attached to the circuit board. And looking at you pictures, that's what your port looks like on the 200. What screws did you have to take out to get to the chip? I'd like to see what version is on my cam before I consider taking it to JVC for repair.

Ted Ramasola September 21st, 2009 11:28 PM

Paul,

As far as i can remember with both 100 and 200, to get to the parts at the rear of the cam, meaning the firewire area and the fuse as well, you really nead to open the camera up. starting from the front part around the lens mounts then the sides so you can literally take both halfs of the body casing apart.

The screws are pretty visible though, all of em colored black.

Ted