FX1/Z1 killer? JVC rumored 3 chip HDV camera at NAB 2005?! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 6th, 2005, 02:17 AM   #16
Major Player

The JVC 20k cam not meeting deadlines isn't all that suprising.

Them possibly releasing a 24pHD(V?) prosumer model first is very interesting. It would obviously have to outperform the HD1/10 on all of that cam's "issues". JVC seems to have great concepts and poor implementation. Hopefully this new model won't be more of the same. What's really interseting is that none of their consumer models are going over the $500 price range this year, meaning that they've left the higgh end consumer/prosumer behind for now...maybe an indicator that they want to fill the void with this new cam. As far as them not having to protect higher end models, what about the ENG model? There going to get the chips right at some point., and it seems that 24p an HD aren't realy for the ENG crowd, so...

BTW - I liked the look of Panny's prosumer HD mockup. Functionality of that design, of course, remains to be seen.

Concerning having manufacturers heeding user input before going to market with a camera, I'm all for it. The internet has helped people like never before to let companies know what they want, when they want it, and how much the're willing to spend for it. I don't really see a downside to it, besides the fact that some of the bleeding edge adopters get sucked into that mode of waiting for the newest instead of enjoying what tech is out now.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2005, 01:50 PM   #17
Inner Circle

for JVC, the way is pretty clear.
The HD1 was fine already, so they will probably try to buil on it.
3 CCD, 25 Mb/s (the HD1 is only 19, so there is room for improvement) 720p (to get customer missed by Sony with the 1080i, and they already know how to do it)
at 24,25,30 fps (and why not 60fps) and a price just under the sony one.
I think nobody will really go on the pro market with HDV, the real one is consumer and prosumer (massive sales possible).The only ones that could go for pro prices and quality could be Canon or Panasonic
(they need something better than the XL2/DVX100 to be in the major players league)
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 11:05 PM   #18
Major Player

While I would love to see a 50mgps dvcpro Panny 720p cam for 6k or so, I don't expect it. Why? They would be blowing away their sdx900 SD cam that they ask 25k for.

JVC has nothing to lose, and could build something excellent, except that they never seem to quite deliver the goods.

The only for sure thing is the dvx100a sequel with native 16x9. I'll take one, please.
Old January 18th, 2005, 07:14 AM   #19
MPS Digital Studios

I'm a little skeptical about a quality HDV camera from JVC after the HD10's lackluster construction and performance, IMHO. And the fact that their $20k 24p pro model is shelved while they re-design it, I'm worried about a sub-$5000 24p camera from them. And that's after I really started thinking about it.

heath
Old January 20th, 2005, 12:43 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Ken Freed stated they've been working on a 3 chip replacement for the HD1 since 2003 and they feel they will have an excellent reponse to the new cams from Sony. He can't say more than that.

Took them a few years to counter the Sony pd series with the DV300, hope they do better this time. We'll see. Nothing to lose by waiting a month or 2.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2005, 03:13 PM   #21
MPS Digital Studios

Too bad the $20,000 is dead for now.

heath
Old January 22nd, 2005, 10:59 PM   #22
Tourist

Heath

There was a small article on VIDEOGRAPHY DEC04, page 33 (also a picture), introducing the all new JVC HDV camcorder, here is what it said,

"JVC is previewing a prototype of its 3-CCD, HD/SD switchable ENG/EFP style camcorder. The professional-grade three-chip camcorder is targeted at mainstream production and ENG users.

The camcorder will use three 2/3-inch CMOS imagers, each with a native resolution of 1920x1080 pixels. The new chips produce a higher image quality with lower power comsumption than conventional CCDs and are adaptable to scanning rates including 720p and 1080i. The camera will support 24 frames progressive recording.

The camera will include a built-in MPEG-2 encoder capable of providing bandwidth-efficient recordings of the native HD images. The unit is capable of recording up to 276 minutes of HD on full-size DV media or up to 60 minutes on mini DV media. In addition, JVC is developing hard-drive and solid-state recording modules."
Riki Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2005, 08:59 PM   #23
MPS Digital Studios

That camera is back to the drawing boards, something to do with the chips.

heath
Old January 25th, 2005, 08:01 AM   #24
MPS Digital Studios

Rumors peg Panasonic debuting their flash-based DVCPro HD (sub-$5000) in 2006, JVC this year, but we'll see. JVC already had to go back to the drawing board with their $20,000 (minus lens) HDV 24p rig.

heath
Old January 25th, 2005, 08:48 AM   #25
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Heath McKnight : Rumors peg Panasonic debuting their flash-based DVCPro HD (sub-$5000) in 2006 -->>>

Heath, Chris H. had mentioned in another thread that there was rumor floating around about a sub-$10,000 DVCPRO100 cam possibly slated for this year.

Is this the same rumor, or is Panny possibly working on 2 models?
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2005, 10:42 AM   #26
Obstreperous Rex

Same rumor, sorry.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2005, 01:38 PM   #27
Major Player

Heath: 'They said that they created the HD1 to sell enough to support the HD10'

Scott: 'I wouldn't put too much stock in that. At the same time the HD1 was showing at CES in January, a consumer JVC rep told me that the JVC pro guys were "pissed" about the HD1 and were going to probably have to rush a pro version to market by NAB. I know that my JVC Pro reps knew less about the HD1/10 than I did until after NAB...'

I believe the success of the HD1 helped justify the HD10 to moneymen - but not in the way those JVC guys are suggesting.

It clearly wasn't their solid plan from the start. The HD10/PD1 are both tweaked HD1's - the former made better, the latter worse. In other words: orginally consumer cams at heart.

The consumer controls are the giveaway.
Old February 10th, 2005, 04:56 PM   #28
MPS Digital Studios

Of course.

heath
Old February 10th, 2005, 05:27 PM   #29
Major Player

Well, Heath, I only say it because it contradicts JVC's claim, posted by you, that the HD1 was released specifically to economically facilitate the HD10.
Old February 10th, 2005, 06:31 PM   #30
MPS Digital Studios

I just passed along what was said to me. Don't shoot the messenger.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems