DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Wide Latitude for HD100? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/406663-wide-latitude-hd100.html)

Juan Pablo Ramirez September 16th, 2009 10:36 PM

Wide Latitude for HD100?

I've been messing around with Tim Dashwood's wide latitude setting and all my stuff looks pretty bad. I know its a flat image that is supposed to allow for more manipulation in post but I can't mess with it too much. All my colors aren't saturated enough. There is also too much green and the skin tones are kinda crappy. What should I do?

Alex Humphrey September 19th, 2009 08:09 AM

What software are you using? If you NLE isn't capable of much color correction or contrast beyond say iMovie or other $100 program, I would switch back to the defaults. Cine-gama and color matrix normal. Maybe set your programable keys for black stretch 1 or 2.

I don't have time for 90 percent of my stuff, so I shoot prety close to factor settings. Also verify your monitor is set accuratly and do the same for your computer monitor. Of course your computer monitor will never match without $500 to $1,000 in graphics hardware. But you can get it close.

Or are you needing to correct your current footage?

Juan Pablo Ramirez September 19th, 2009 06:05 PM

No i dont need to correct it. I am editing on FCP and i just use the 3 way color corrector. i needed to correct something a while ago but i got around to reshooting and tweeking things

Marc Colemont September 20th, 2009 12:58 PM

Hi Juan,

Did you load the HD100 scene files, or did you created them manually?
Also make sure not to mix HD200 settings with HD100 settings as they don't match.

Juan Pablo Ramirez September 20th, 2009 06:35 PM

i created them manually from the recipe. No i didnt mix it with the 200's files. I just tweeked the color from the 100 file until the colors i wanted to come out more came out.

Marc Colemont September 21st, 2009 01:52 AM

Adjusting colors I would recommend doing only while using a calibrated color chart with vectorscope.
As the slightest change can influence greatly the other colors.

Giuseppe Pugliese September 21st, 2009 01:54 AM

Wide lat should pretty much look exactly how you are describing. It allows for maximum color correction in post. It wont look good as is. Just like a film negative will just not look good unless you do CC in post, and touch-ups here and there.

If you think its washed out, then dont use wide lat, because thats exactly what its for, post color, if you dont want to do post on all the clips, just use the internal settings.

If theres too much green, it might not be your footage, it might be your monitor. As for noting being able to push the color, it depends on your color depth. Remember if its HDV you are limited with what you can push before it breaks up. But from what you are saying, it sounds like somethings wrong. I can push HDV pretty hard with the wide setting and get huge differences. Skin tones will look crappy because of the green, there is RED in our faces and green will completely throw off any skin tone.

Best thing to do is post an HD clip for us to see what you are talking about. Otherwise its really hard to tell anything from just words.