JVC Previews NEW Pro HD Camera Specs to Select AVR Resellers at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 10th, 2005, 02:57 AM   #1
Hollywood Studio Rentals

JVC Previews NEW Pro HD Camera Specs to Select AVR Resellers

JVC Previews NEW Pro HD Camera Specs to Select AVR Resellers

Model: GY-HD100U

SPECS

Approx 5lbs

Heavy Duty Magnesium Body

Shoulder Mount Balanced Light Weight Camera

3 - 1/3" 1.1 Mega pixel CCDs

Interchangeable Lenses 1/3" - Stock options 16X and 13X Fuji

Recording: TRUE 720 24P, 720 30P, 480i,480P (1080i Playback)

DUAL MEDIA Mini DV Tape /Option (Hard Drive)

Memory Stick

Camera Presets

Image Control - Including Cinema Gamma

Motion Smoothing Filter

Dual XLR

Component Out/Composite Out/ Fire Wire I/O

Flip Out LCD

Enhanced Focus

Monochrome Viewfinder

Data 19Mps

Shipping June 1, 2005
List Price <$10K with Lens

COMPANION DECK ALSO SHIPPING in June

Model Name: BR-HD50U
FULL and Mini DV Tape
Integrated Small LCD
Component Out
Fire Wire I/O
(Additional Specs TBA)

NEW HDV FORMAT ANOUNCED!!!!

JVC PRO HD XE
Recording 720 24P,30P,60P,1080i
4 Channels Audio

First Product will be a 3 2/3" Camera with true 1080P CCDs
Higher Bit Rate
DUAL Media DV Tape/ Hard Drive
To Ship LATE 2005???

-----------------------------------------------

I got to touch and feel the prototype...let me just say this if you are thinking of buying a Z1U - you may want to wait 3 months and rethink your options.....

Sean Dinwoodie
Engineer/DP
indietoolbox.com
Chief Engineer - Hollywood Studio Rentals

PS For All those interested, as select JVC Pro AV Reseller we will begin taking deposits in the next few days at the shop. Please contact us through our website http://www.HollywoodStudioRentals.com or call us at 818-526-0101
Sean Dinwoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2005, 07:16 AM   #2
Trustee

At $10,000 this won't change people's minds who were and are considering the Z1U.

All I have to say is "Data 19Mps" - a joke for $10,000. You can get a cheap $399 Mini-DV camera from Best Buy with a higher rate - 25Mps!
Old March 10th, 2005, 08:51 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

<< At $10,000 this won't change people's minds who were and are considering the Z1U. >>

No, but it's important to realize that pricing is relative. At $10,000 it represents an excellent value to the working professional who has been waiting for a shoulder-mount, interchangeable lens pro camera using the HDV format in this price range. It's priced just right in my opinion.

<< All I have to say is "Data 19Mps" - a joke for $10,000. >>

Hardly. Don't you remember how people doubted and feared 25mbps HDV, saying it would never be workable? Your statement here falls right in line with all those who used to diss your HDV format. You have to realize that you can't knock it until you've seen it, because until then you just don't know.

<< You can get a cheap $399 Mini-DV camera from Best Buy with a higher rate - 25Mps! >>

Sure you can, and it's standard definition to boot!

C'mon, Murph, please back off from the fear, uncertainty and doubt. Thanks,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2005, 10:15 AM   #4
Trustee

Chris, I don't have "fear, uncertainty and doubt" about anything. That sure reads like you wanted me to get mad and respond? For the record, I was making a comment about a piece of plastic and metal. Your comment to me was personal. I've never once been able to ascertain someone's "fear, uncertainty and doubt" through text unless they've stated it. Your post came out of left field on my end.

Let it be known that my statement was intended to be the opposite of what you thought.
Old March 10th, 2005, 10:44 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks Murph,

No, I don't want you to get mad, as you know that's not how we work around here. I just want you to understand that nobody is in any position to call this thing a "joke" until they've seen it for themselves.

There's nothing at all personal about it; I just want the ground rules established that:
  • a.) pricing is relative; to some pro shooters, $10k is an excellent price;
  • b.) the bit rate can't be judged until it's been seen; and
  • c.) the comparison to a cheap consumer camcorder based on bit rate just doesn't hold water.
Let's please learn about it first before we start knocking it. Thanks,

Old March 10th, 2005, 10:59 AM   #6
Trustee

All You Need Is Love...and some friends

Ok, we love each other again. :)

I'm sorry for the "joke" comment/verbage and I after some thought I agree with everything you've just said.
Old March 10th, 2005, 11:09 AM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Ah, I'm still a little bit jumpy from a recent troll invasion in one of our other boards. But that didn't last long... heh.

Thanks,

Old March 10th, 2005, 11:15 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Hay guys, personaly i'll just wait until NAB. JVC, prove you are the better choice and we'll come a knockin down your door to get your camera.
it will be an uphill fight for JVC at this point. i can't wait for the rumble to begin.
Darrell
FIRST CINEMA PICTURES
Old March 10th, 2005, 01:31 PM   #9
Barry Wan Kenobi

Regarding the 19mbps -- keep in mind that it's actually a higher bitrate per pixel (i.e., less compression per frame), than 1080i HDV. That plus it has a much smaller GOP, six frames vs. 15. Should be every bit as competitive, for a 720p camera, as the FX1's implementation of 1080i HDV.

Very interesting about the 1/3" bayonet-mount interchangeable lens, and just like Panasonic, we don't know what "under $10,000" means yet! Could be $5,000. Maybe it's a price-positioning game they're playing between themselves.

Chris, since you've devoted a forum to this, rather than placing it in Area 51, does that mean you're confident that the specs are accurate? I'm sure they are, just wondering if there's been any official JVC statement.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2005, 01:49 PM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Barry,

<< Chris, since you've devoted a forum to this, rather than placing it in Area 51, does that mean you're confident that the specs are accurate? >>

I can't say that I know the specs to be accurate, but I do consider the official JVC teasers (their links located in this thread) to be ample justification for the validity of that camera's existence, at least, and therefore the impetus for this board. Now if I can only lure Ken Freed back in here and get him as involved online as Jan is... then we'd all be in great shape!

Old March 10th, 2005, 07:49 PM   #11
Regular Crew

As for the under $10k thing, last year at NAB 04 Sony was showing off the prototype of their new HDV camera that was going to cost under $10k. That ended up being the FX1/Z1 and they are both way under $10k. So this new JVC could sell for way under $10k.
Old March 10th, 2005, 08:15 PM   #12
Major Player

JVC does not have all that good a rep, they'll have to bring it in at $4,995 to match the sony.

I'm kind of wondering if anyone supports a 720p 24p hdv codec...that's not in the HDV specs.
Old March 10th, 2005, 11:06 PM   #13
Hollywood Studio Rentals

JVC has A VERY GOOD reputation when it comes to mpeg compression technologies.

When you watch Monday night football the sky shot are encoded by JVC mpeg encoders and sent back to the switch. Jerry Bruckhiemer has been using JVC mpeg for his digital dalies for several years now....remeber the JVC created the HDV format; Sony and Canaon adapted it and agreed to the intial standards...but JVC created it.

$5k??? The JVC specs put it in another class compared to the Z1U. To say it needs to be 5K is rediculous. I'd love it to be priced so low, but it's the specs are worth more than that.

Sean Dinwoodie
Engineer & DP
http://www.LAProHD.org
Sean Dinwoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2005, 11:24 PM   #14
Major Player

"it's the specs are worth more than that."

I have to completely agree.

Interchangable lenses and true 24p recording will definitely justify this JVC camera costing more than a Z1, in my opinion.

Just as the XL2 came out to compete with the DVX100, and yet cost 1000 dollars more, and rightfully so.
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2005, 11:36 PM   #15
Obstreperous Rex

I agree with Luis completely. Ten grand with lens included is a very good price for this thing. It's not in the same class as the Z1... the Z1 is a handycam which follows the excellent handycam lineage of PD170, PD150, VX1000, VX3. This new JVC is more comparable to (but looks a bit smaller than) its shoulder-mount ancestors, the GY-DV5000 and GY-DV500.

These are two completely different classes of cameras. The Z1 is a compact, highly portable all-in-one handycam and the HD100 is a shoulder-mount with interchageable lenses. Two very different worlds.

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems