HDV or 24p? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 14th, 2005, 10:24 AM   #16
Major Player

I don't think any special editing software would be needed. All you need is the ability to import the footage and output it in an uncompressed format. If they record 24 real frames per second only then there would be no further processing required.
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2005, 03:16 PM   #17
Barry Wan Kenobi

Sounds like "ProHD" will indeed be a new format, sort of like a DVCAM version of DV was a new format, even though the internals were all basically the same.

I don't know if JVC has announced any specs on the GOP or anything else about the 24P option, other than to say that it's still 19mbps. Even if the GOP is the same length, that's still good news, as it means each frame will get more bits allocated to it than would have happened in HDV 720/30p, so more efficient compression and fewer artifacts.

If the GOP is shorter or longer, that's both good and bad. Shorter GOP means easier/more efficient editing, less impact of dropouts, and less impact of variable-resolution imaging on high-motion, high-frequency changes. However, MPEG compression excels at longer-GOP lengths, that's where the efficiency of the MPEG compression really comes into play, and why HDV on the FX1/Z1 can look so great (especially on relatively static shots) at such a tiny bitrate.

The thing to keep in mind is, the GOP in 720p is already a *lot* shorter than it is in 1080i. In Sony's 1080i version of HDV the GOP is 15 frames, but in JVC's 720p implementation it's already a six-frame GOP. So even if the GOP stays the same for ProHD 720/24p, it'll still be much shorter than the GOP in 1080/60i HDV.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2005, 09:48 PM   #18
MPS Digital Studios

I thought it was still mpeg2-ts, which would require special software, unfortunately. ARGH!

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems