I need some clarification on this gy-100u 19 megabits per sec please! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 19th, 2005, 03:31 AM   #1

I need some clarification on this gy-100u 19 megabits per sec please!

I know that everone was saying it that transfer/data rate needs to be around 50 Mbps or 100 Mbps for good HD. Are they talking mega bits or mega bytes? What is larger transfer rate, bits or bytes. Please elaborate about the whole bit/byte thing. . . . ya, I know, laymens are annoying.

From all I can gather, a 19 Mbs image would be pretty unusable blown up to a big screen, am I right? And I'm assuming it won't be very great color separation like 4:2:2 or anything.

Thanks!
Laurence Maher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2005, 09:50 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

MPEG compression and a long GOP provides the relatively low data rate. Image quality cannot be assessed "sight unseen" just based on the data rate. We'll have to see it first in order to evaluate how good it is.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2005, 01:49 PM   #3
Trustee

8 bits = 1 byte

mbps = mega bits per second

Most broadcast HDTV is 10-19 mbps

D-Theater tapes can go up to 50 mbps in theory, though rarely do.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2005, 03:09 PM   #4
Barry Wan Kenobi

You can't equate bits across different compression schemes. As Chris said, MPEG-2 relies on groups of pictures, rather than individual frames, and this can lead to very efficient compression. 19 megabits of MPEG-2 may look an awful lot better than 100 megabits of MJPG (or may not).

The JVC records at 19 megabits, which is about two, two and a half times as much as a DVD records at. Whether that's good enough for theatrical blowup quality remains to be seen. However, what is known is that the JVC records in HDV-compatible format, which means 4:2:0, not 4:2:2.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2005, 11:35 AM   #5
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Barry Green : . . . The JVC records at 19 megabits, which is about two, two and a half times as much as a DVD records at. Whether that's good enough for theatrical blowup quality remains to be seen. However, what is known is that the JVC records in HDV-compatible format, which means 4:2:0, not 4:2:2. -->>>

Has it been confirmed that the "ProHD" format is, at this point, essentially 19-Mbps, 720p HDV, with the only major difference being the addition of 24p? Is it official -- no higher data rates or 4:2:2 sampling?
Lawrence Bansbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2005, 12:42 PM   #6
Contributor

From all that I've read, it is HDV only, although not 1080i, only 720p.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2005, 01:32 PM   #7
Major Player

ProHD

Well, nothing confirmed at this point of course, but from what I can gather, the ProHD is essentially 720p standard for HDV + 24p +a total of 4 channels of audio (2 of which may or may not be uncompressed)
Old March 21st, 2005, 09:46 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I think JVC is simply adding a 24p option while still supporting HDV spec in other modes. When I posted on the Cineform section, they said they could easily adopt the cineform codec to handle HDV at 720 24p. This is good news as far as I'm concerned. Capture/Edit at 24p shouldn't be a problem for anyone. As far as output? I guess you could do what they've been doing for decades. From a film based perspective, 24p is a universal format that can be easily converted to NTSC or PAL HD with current technology.

The new Pana notwithstanding, I'm hoping the JVC is the camera I've been waiting for, for so long. If JVC does with HDV color what they did with DV25, they should rival the new pana in video quality.

As far as being able to change lenses? Do what the big guys do, rent what you need for the current project. Thats how Panavision stays in business (not saying you would use Panavision lenses on this camera).

right now in pre nab mode, all the manufacturers are posturing to get their product noticed. Nothing wrong with that at all, just keep all that in mind. I plan on waiting till there are some good reviews.

My only question is...
If the JVC is really outstanding....will 'duhsonymen' get upset and start trashing it (lying about it) like they did with the gy-dv300?
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2005, 09:59 AM   #9
Contributor

Yes, people doing big budget films rent lenses they need along with the cameras they need. But the concept is pretty much irrelevant for a 1/3" chip camera. Any available prime lens is way too long to do you any good in normal shooting situations unless you go to one of those adapters with the spinning ground glass...and if you're going to spend that kind of money anyway, you should just rent a better camera when you need it, or buy one, I think.

As far as the progressive scan thing, I want to see the cameras first. I'm not in the market at the moment, but if I were, I would go for the best quality image, featues, useability, reliability, etc., over whether the camera shoots progressive or interlaced. Unless I planned on transferring to film, and then I would prefer to shoot 24p (although most labs are quite good at transferring interlaced video, and most of the low budget video-to-film movies I've seen theatrically have been shot 60i).

I used several JVC cameras very successfully way back in the tube camera days and find that even today they manage to give you an image quality very close to other cameras at significantly less cost. They don't get much respect, and I'd guess that's for two reasons--their primary market in the past seems to have been corporate in-house production units and institutions, rather than broadcast, and they have had some well publicized problems with new cameras. However, if you don't buy the first version but wait till the bugs are worked out, and if you treat the camera with the care you should, then it could turn out to be the best value for the dollar on the market today...uh, well, maybe not today since it's not on the market yet. But soon.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2005, 10:42 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Bill, I understand what you are saying. I don't think the high end glass makers will target this camera. But it might open opportunites for companies like Century Optics and others. But as you said, it will depend on the quality of the video coming out, and the reliability of the camera itself, and number of units sold. If there are enough sold, someone will make glass for it.

I'm both optimistic, and skepticle at the same time. Optimistic because 720 24p HDV won't require me to change from my current NLE setup. Skeptical because 'I've been there done that' too many times not to be.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems