DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   720p60 uncompressed (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/41437-720p60-uncompressed.html)

Ken Hodson March 19th, 2005 01:28 PM

720p60 uncompressed

This web site is not the origionator of this info, but is kind enough to host it at the moment.

http://www.sanjinjukic.com/index_JVCproHD.html

"In addition to providing superior quality HD recording in the 24p format, the GY-HD100U can output an uncompressed 720/P60 HD signal."

I haven't heard anyone mention this ability of the cam. One would need a HDSDI converter and one hell of a RAID setup, but that is one hell of an option for the pro's.

Tom Roper March 19th, 2005 01:38 PM

...or

...or they merely mean the uncompressed output can be streamed out the analog component YPbPr outputs.

Edit: Never mind what I said. Here's the quote:

"A third party HDSDI converter can provide the full resolution uncompressed signal to an array of systems with no signal delay."

Luis Caffesse March 20th, 2005 07:10 PM

My question would be will the camera output ONLY 720p60 out of the uncompressed output?

Seems odd that they would make sure to mention the 60 frames per second.

What about 720P24 uncompressed?

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Ken Hodson March 20th, 2005 09:13 PM

"My question would be will the camera output ONLY 720p60 out of the uncompressed output?"

My guess is yes. The current HDV tape spec can't handle 720p60. But we won't know for sure untill release.

"Seems odd that they would make sure to mention the 60 frames per second."

Why is that? It is the standard frame rate of HD 720.

"What about 720P24 uncompressed?"

Yes of course. And all frame rates in between.

Barry Green March 20th, 2005 09:56 PM

The HDV tape spec specifically does allow for 720/60p. It's still encoded at 19mbps though. Don't understand the comment about frame rates though -- HDV provides for only 25, 30, and 60 frame rates, not for 24 and not for any frame rates inbetween.

Ken Hodson March 20th, 2005 10:58 PM

I forgot 60p was HDV spec for 720p as well.

"Don't understand the comment about frame rates though -- HDV provides for only 25, 30, and 60 frame rates, not for 24 and not for any frame rates inbetween."

Luis asked if 24p would be available uncompressed. Not if it was HDV spec. My answer was yes, being that 60p was available uncompressed you can bet all lower frame rates will be as well. Make sense?

Barry Green March 21st, 2005 02:14 AM

Ah. Okay. Well, I guess the confusion was when you said "all frame rates inbetween" -- I took that to mean that you were saying it would be like the VariCam, capable of imaging at all frame rates. But now that I read it again, I think you're saying that any frame rate the camera is capable of, would also be available on the uncompressed output (so, the spelled out 24 and 30, and presumably 60).

Of course, if the camera actually is capable of fully variable frame rates, that would make for some very interesting news!

Luis Caffesse March 21st, 2005 10:08 AM

"Of course, if the camera actually is capable of fully variable frame rates, that would make for some very interesting news!"

Well, that would just be a dream....
although I still have a feeling that the Pana DVCProHD might have variable frame rates, but I'm not holding my breath.

As far as I'm concerned, uncompressed outputs with 720P24 is already VERY interesting news.

This new JVC camera could give some stunning images if you're willing to be tethered to a computer or a deck of somekind.

Remember just a year ago people were freaking out over the kinneta which promised uncompressed HD for 40-50K?
Granted this camera is not in the same class exactly, but who would have thought we'd be talking about uncompressed 720P at 24fps for under 10K?

I'll believe this when I see it, but it is very exciting.

Luis Caffesse March 22nd, 2005 06:57 PM

From this article

"The new camera can't record 720p at 60 frames per second, but future models will. But the new ProHD is capable of outputting 720p/60 for live transmission or recording on an external video server."

Now it makes sense to me why the first article we were disucssing specifically mentioned 60fps.

This article is being discussed in ANOTHER THREAD.
I just wanted to quote that section since it tied into the earlier discussion here.

Steve Mullen March 23rd, 2005 04:18 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Luis Caffesse : My question would be will the camera output ONLY 720p60 out of the uncompressed output?

Seems odd that they would make sure to mention the 60 frames per second. -->>>

Think about how 24fps is handled in the world -- 2:3 pull-down is added. The analog and HD-SDI ouput of 720p is always 720/60P.

Latter this week my HDV@Work Newsletter for Video Systems will cover ProHD in detail. (Including the Motion Filter.) To sign-up you must go to VS's site.

You should try to also get last week's because it has an explanation of PCM audio for the ProHD format. That's 4 channels of audio.

Chris Hurd March 23rd, 2005 08:35 AM

The link for Steve's excellent newsletter "HDV at Work" is:

http://enews.primediabusiness.com/en...v_work/current

I will add this to our HDV Info Net Resources page directly.