New Article at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 31st, 2005, 01:01 AM   #1
Hollywood Studio Rentals

New Article

http://millimeter.com/mag/video_nab_13/index1.html

Sean Dinwoodie
Engineer & DP
http://www.LAProHD.org
Sean Dinwoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 02:17 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Linkified.

Thanks, Sean!

One thing about that particular HD100 article though, I sure hope Leitner didn't write it, because there's a very misleading statement there...

"stealing a page from Canon's XL series, a removable, bayonet-mount lens (borrowing XL's mount too?) in the form of a Fujinon servo 16X zoom bundled with the camcorder."

The HD100 most definitely is NOT borrowing the Canon XL lens mount!

The removable, bayonet-mount lens isn't stealing a page from Canon's prosumer camcorder, but rather Panasonic's nearly-ten-year-old 1/3" professional shoulder mount broadcast camera line, the AJ-D200 series which also used 1/3" removable bayonet-mount lenses similar to the HD100.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 02:30 AM   #3
Hollywood Studio Rentals

An interesting tidbit was the mention of 24P SD....

Sean Dinwoodie
Engineer & DP
http://www.LAProHD.org
Sean Dinwoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 03:27 PM   #4
Major Player

...and also the vcr that connects directly to a 23" apple display & plays sony dvcam.
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 06:50 PM   #5
Major Player

"non-working Panasonic"

er, so we're treated to perhaps another Balsa wood version...?

yikes...

I thought the 24p HD Panasonic thing was likely to have been shipping around NAB?

How can they honestly hope to quash Z1U sales otherwise? Like, who's gonna w...a....i....t....???

Crazy....
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 06:59 PM   #6
Hollywood Studio Rentals

My rep hadn't heard that before

Millimeter reported that the 100 does SD 24P. Saw my JVC rep today and she was unaware of that. If Sean doesn't know - how could Millimeter? Chris or Sean - Who was the author of the Millimeter article? Do we know him? Nobody mentioned the 1/3in to 1/2in mount adapter. Ain't no big deal 'cause there aren't any 1/2HD glass anyway. But there is a 1/2in to 2/3in adapter from Century. Does this mean I can go from 1/3in to Zeiss DigiPrimes? Sean says too many stops will be lost. I say 1.2k HMI.
Old April 1st, 2005, 12:38 AM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Robert, the authors were S. D. Katz, David Leitner, Dan Ochiva, and Bob Turner. Hard to say which one was responsible for the HD100 part of that article.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2005, 10:41 AM   #8
HDV Cinema

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : Robert, the authors were S. D. Katz, David Leitner, Dan Ochiva, and Bob Turner. Hard to say which one was responsible for the HD100 part of that article. -->>>

David wrote the HD100 story on what minimal info we had. The JVC uses some 1/3" mount -- who cares which one because there are only a couple of Fuji lenses to choose from and they'll fit of course.

It's also supposed to be bundled with an adapter for 1/2" mount lenses. No specification from JVC yet.

90% will use the supplied lens, anyway.

But David does have an error about DOs. It is not true that "HDV's MPEG-2 compression is “interframe” — compressed over a 15-frame span in the case of 1080i camcorders like Sony's, and over a 6-frame span in the case of 720p camcorders like JVC's — so dropout on HDV's ¼in. tape can cause corruption of the entire GOP (group of pictures). Imagine a 6- or 15-frame freeze as the MPEG codec encounters a dropout in playback."

All I, P, B macroblocks are scattered, for JVC, over a 60 track area. We know from DV that a DO gets a fraction of the 2 tracks used for each frame thereby killing a blocks, perhaps forming a line.
So a similar DO will wind-up killing a few macroblocks. And since this is TS these errors will have minimal impact. (Plus ECC is used to protect every block.) You'll see macroblock glitches, not a 1/2 second DO.

If the macro-block that dies is in an I frame, it is possible it could affect later P/B frames too. But, we are dealing -- with a 6 frame GOP -- so we have very small probabilities. Certainly no reason to need HDD. Nor to worry. Nevertheless, I feel DVCAM tape adds confidence because of its QC.

Sony, is far more vulnerable, of course.
Old April 2nd, 2005, 12:54 PM   #9
MPS Digital Studios

I think what they meant was that "stealing a page from Canon's XL series" equates JVC deciding a big selling point for the XL's was the removable lens. So they decided to add a removable lens to help sell more units.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems