Lenses for JVC GY-HD100 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 10th, 2005, 01:28 PM   #16
Major Player

Steve
I woudn't trust like you any manufacturer.
I also bought a GY-DV500 5 years ago and the provided zoom lense (Fujinon 14X) was a piece of....
I had to buy an industrial U$3000 19X Fujinon (the 20X predecessor) to make the camera works decently.
That zoom also presented very strong saturation and contrast problems along the focal distances.

Best wishes
Ron
Ron German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2005, 03:00 PM   #17
Major Player

Hey Ron. Sounds like you've been down a similar path (DV500 + Fujinon 19x/20x). I've had real good luck with the 20x. No complaints on resolution or distortion with the lens. There are currently no other 1/3" HD or 1'2" HD lenses to upgrade to if the Fuji 16x and 13x for the HD100 are problem lenses. I'll be at NAB for four days checking out all the offerings from JVC, Panasonic, and Sony. I'll check out the HD100 closely, with the 16x and the 13x. I'll also visit the Fujinon and Canon booths to grill them on what they feel are the best lenses for the HD100, and to ask them what future 1/3" and 1/2" lenses are planned. With any luck both of them will have some solid plans for lenses that will work well on the HD100. After NAB I'll post on DV Info Net my hands-on impressions of the HD100, the lenses, and accessories. If you, or anyone else in the community that can't make it to NAB would like me to check out some specific equipment or features, e-mail me your wish list and I'll do my best to help you out. My experience includes 26 years of national television (700 programs for 12 networks), and multiple Emmy Awards as a producer, director, and cameraman. By now I'm a good judge of technology and what it's possible uses are...

My e-mail: steve@cut4.tv
Old April 10th, 2005, 08:09 PM   #18
Major Player

Thank you Steve.
I'd really like that the standard DV recording in HD 100 would be good enough to make film out (and better than the XL2).
Have a good trip.
Ron
Ron German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2005, 10:34 AM   #19
Inner Circle

I'm hoping P+S Technik will have something soon after release. If I can't afford to buy, I could at least rent . I think the JVC and the Technik are going to be made for each other.

But the proof will be in the image quality. Not the specs.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2005, 05:18 PM   #20
Hollywood Studio Rentals

It would be nice, but...

A P&S Mini35 or equivalent would be very nice but would sell for the same price as the camera (or close). If someone could make a 1/3in to 2/3in or PL the I could use DigiPrimes or regular primes. Heck, it's only a third of an inch.
Old April 12th, 2005, 11:11 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Re: It would be nice, but...

<<<-- Originally posted by Robert Shuster: If someone could make a 1/3in to 2/3in or PL the I could use DigiPrimes or regular primes. Heck, it's only a third of an inch. -->>>

The 2/3" adapter would allow to put digiprimes and other 2/3" lenses onto GY-HD100, but dont you think these adapters use just some center spot of the lens - they dont use whole area available by the lens? Make the lens more telephoto and less wide?

I honestly HATE this on my digital SLR still camera, thats why I still try to shoot on film.
Martin Polach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2005, 10:03 AM   #22
Contributor

It's about time for somebody to make a prosumer-priced ground glass or virtual image adapter that translates the image from 35mm lenses to smaller sensor sizes. This camera really screams for such an adapter, and because it has a lens mount, it's much simpler (read: less expensive) to make one for the HD100 than for the PD170, HDX200, Z1/FX1, DVX100, etc.
Old April 13th, 2005, 12:12 PM   #23
Barry Wan Kenobi

People are doing that already. I'm getting a beta-test unit of the Guerilla35 adapter tomorrow. I don't know anything about the quality of the unit, but there are some entrepreneurs out there trying to package and sell complete adapters like that.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2005, 12:49 PM   #24
Contributor

Cool! Hope you have not signed an NDA and can tell us about it! Is it GG-based or does it use some other principle? Are you actually testing this on an HD100????
Old April 13th, 2005, 01:19 PM   #25
Major Player

Today Fujinon just announced a new ENG 1/2" HD lens designed for the Sony HDC-X300. Perhaps it could be adapted with a JVC mount, and the new JVC 1'2" to 1/3" stepdown, for use on the HD100. It's 18x, so it would give extra length for nature and sports shooters over the stock Fujinon 16x.

Link: http://www.digitalproducer.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=31807

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems