DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Price on the JVC GY-HD100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/42760-price-jvc-gy-hd100.html)

Joachim Hoge April 10th, 2005 03:17 PM

JVC GY-HD100 less than 6000 Euros!

I´ve just read this tread posted on dvxuser:

http://www.jvcpro.co.uk/news/release...releaseID=1192

It states the price as under 6000 Euros!!

That seems to be a very competitive price.
How will Panny respond to this?

Michael Struthers April 11th, 2005 12:42 PM

Which would be 7.7k in US dollars, but I'll bet JVC prices it much cheaper than that for the USA. They really need to steal market share, it might take a loss leader to do that.

Heath McKnight April 11th, 2005 02:56 PM

Maybe...We'll see, but I'm guessing around $7000 or so, as well. Not sure, of course, but that's my best guess.

heath

John Sandel April 11th, 2005 03:17 PM

$7k is a lot more attractive than $9999.99 ... thanks, Joachim.

Joachim Hoge April 12th, 2005 03:31 PM

Your welcome.

Strange that no price is mentioned in $ yet. I will also guess it will be cheaper in the US.
6000 Euros is around 50.000Kr and the Sony is selling for just under 55.000kr here.
I´m hoping the JVC will be cheaper than the Sony :)

Now we just have to wait and see what price range Panasonic are anouncing

Robert Jackson April 17th, 2005 08:34 PM

Priced to sell, I'd say...

"The GY-HD100 with a Fujinon 16X HD lens will be $6,295.00 and we expect to be able to deliver product in July."

Heath McKnight April 17th, 2005 08:52 PM

Too bad the HVX200 is the same price...

heath

Luis Caffesse April 17th, 2005 08:55 PM

Any word on an option for buying the body only (with no lens)?

Robert Jackson April 17th, 2005 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heath McKnight
Too bad the HVX200 is the same price...

heath

Yeah, well, there are a lot of things to consider.

P2 is an excellent option, IMO. People are bummed about the 13-minute runtime in the standard configuration, but shooting 35mm I'm used to 1000 feet of film costing around $500 and getting me 11 minutes before a mag change, so to me 13 minutes sounds great and getting away from tape is a huge deal, IMO. I'd much rather just move the file across to a computer on the set and be ready to go again than have to put the tape aside and capture in realtime later.

On the other hand, it looks like the camera is essentially not a lot different in a practical sense than using a DVX-100, which is just fine for shooting student projects or whatever, but not an option I'd really want to live with in a working situation. I don't mean that to be argumentative; I'm just saying that the "prosumer" cams like that aren't ideal for me (and I know that's often a personal preference thing).

So yeah, the HD100 with its interchangable lenses (and apparently a wide-angle lens will be available at introduction for a higher package price) seems like a much more workable solution for a guy who's out working for clients day to day. It's a nice middle-ground between high-end HD and DV. Of course, the Panasonic is doing 1080p at 24p. That's pretty hard to complain about.

In the end it really means a lot of great choices for people working in video. Now the big kicker is going to be how long it takes Canon to get in the game. They're up against the wall now. Panasonic and JVC are definitely way out ahead of the curve and Sony is at least on the field. Canon really need to get an XL-3 or something out there soon if they plan to carve out any kind of market share in this fast-developing niche.

Thomas Smet April 18th, 2005 11:22 AM

What could Canon add that would make it stand out ahead of one of the other cameras? I mean JVC has the lenses like the XL1, SONY has 1080i, Panasonic has P2 and other format you would ever want with 4:2:2 color.

Really the only thing Canon could add is higher end optics such as 1/2 or 2/3 cmos chips. If it is 1/3 it wouldn't be that much better than the JVC unless it did true 1080. If it records to something other than tape so does the Panasonic. Since the Canon will use HDV it wouldn't really be able to have 4:2:2 unless they are able to use JVC's 50 Mb/s HDV format. Would JVC really give it to Canon before they themselves use it? Also we don't yet know how much JVC will share the new HDV pro with 24p support with everyone else yet so would the Canon even have 24p? Maybe Canon will stick to the consumer market and make HDV cameras for under $2000.00.

Heath McKnight April 18th, 2005 11:34 AM

The HVX200 also has a tape transport, which means DV tapes (or DVCPro).

Also, didn't the XL-2 just come out? Then again, it's been for the last several months for filmmakers: HDV or 24p (DV)? Now they can choose both (and the cheaper DVCPro HD).

heath

Mark Kubat April 18th, 2005 02:55 PM

What Canon should do...

we've now got the resolution... we've now got 24p in HD...

what we need now is good d.o.f. - it's amazing how much interest there is for this and all the design for 35mm lens adapters...

Chip size might be one obvious way - but perhaps too pricey...?

Canon should figure out a way to move the CCD block "forward" and electronically do what all these 35mm adapters are doing and focus the image in a way so it would be easy to use Canon 35mm SLR lenses with the body of the Canon HDV "XL3" - imagine how many lenses they'd sell as everyone would try to capitalize... certainly the "glass" in 35mm SLR lenses would do HDV justice?

All the cams are great - but despite 24p, the fact that everything from here to the sunset is in focus is still a "give away" that people are spending a lot of effort on tweaking - see Alternative Imaging Forum...

This would put Canon back in the game...

And put them ahead.

Of course, since they're HDV - if they could get 24p 1080p on mini-dv cassette, then great - offer cool, easy "universal" firewire HD direct-to-disk option too...

This would get me excited and "forgive" Canon for being so slow...

Canon, are you listening? Panasonic does that so well...

Robert Jackson April 18th, 2005 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Smet
What could Canon add that would make it stand out ahead of one of the other cameras?

Well, there are a lot of things they could do to distinguish themselves. Attention to pro features in general would be great. A monitor that features overscan, live histogram, programmable gamma curves to mimic different film stocks, etc.

What would really set them apart is a good set of new features that nobody's tried yet. Airport Extreme can handle what, 54 mbps? Is that fast enough for wireless direct-to-disc? How about built-in Bluetooth and optional Bluetooth lavalier mics? Single-chip GPS stamping for location scouting?

Canon could do a lot to distance themselves from the field and they're pretty creative folks when they want to be. I wouldn't count them out until we see what they've got up their sleeves.

Barry Green April 18th, 2005 11:49 PM

Back to the price -- they said $6,295 including a 5.5mm - 88mm lens... IIRC, that's the same focal length as the original Canon XL1.

The JVC rep said that they valued the body at around $5,000. The other lens, the 3.5mm zoom, reportedly costs more than the camera and 5.5-88 lens combined.

Man, this thing is tiny. The main body of the camera's about as big as your hand (well, assuming you have reasonably large hands)!

Patrick Bower April 19th, 2005 04:10 PM

Street Price? $5,495

Found this link on Google:
http://tinyurl.com/9g2gl