JVC at OPTEX at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 5th, 2005, 02:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

JVC at OPTEX

Hi guys/gals, just thought I'd let you know of a link I came accross on the optex site. Seems they were given a pre-production model to play about with. http://www.prohd.co.uk/
Martin Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 05:04 AM   #2
Major Player

I wonder if that adapter and lens would help the camera have a shallower DOF. Does anybody know?
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 07:03 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Sorry Glenn, that's just an an lens mount adapter, very similar to the Canon EF adapter in principle. That adapter housing is much too small to involve a relay lens, therefore it won't preserve depth of field.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2005, 04:48 AM   #4
Major Player

It would preseve DOF wouldn't it? It won't preserve Field Of View though (there will be a significant FOV multiplication factor)
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2005, 11:56 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Nice to see you here, Guy. I wouldn't say that the adapter preserves DOF, because those lenses on a still camera will give you a highly variable deep or shallow depth of field depending on how you use them. But what the adapter does, since it gives you a field of view equal to multiplying the focal length of the lens by a factor of seven times or so, is an extremely shallow depth of field all the time. However its applications are pretty much limited to extreme-telephoto uses, such as wildlife, surveillance, etc. It would be impractical to use in a narrative filmmaking environment because the camera would have to be set up a mile away to get anything other than an extreme close-up.

Old June 6th, 2005, 02:17 AM   #6
Major Player

With the FOV thats what I was thinking, however with the DOF, I thought it would be the same as using the lens on a 35mm body. So the image seen is just a tight crop of the centre of the image circle, but the DOF of the lens created at a particular setting would be the same as on a 35mm body.

You say a 7x factor, which is a lot indeed, I have a 14mm f2.8 Nikon which would result in a 98mm FOV, but at f2/8 the DOF would be nice and short. Then again the 14mm DOF is pretty long even at f/2.8... If only they could shrink the image circle as well!
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2005, 07:28 AM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Good points! Too bad we're stuck in "extreme telephoto only" with that option. *frown*

Old June 7th, 2005, 08:08 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Good points! Too bad we're stuck in "extreme telephoto only" with that option. *frown*

***DROOL*** :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems