Anamorphic Lens adaptor for HD100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 9th, 2005, 05:26 PM   #1
Tourist

Anamorphic Lens adaptor for HD100

I'm set to shoot my first feature later this year (woohoo!) and was going to use a HD10 with century optics anamorphic lens for a "scope" format aspect ractio. Once edited I was going to perform a 30p to 24p conversion using the Algolith AFX plugin (it works - trust me). Anyway, with the new HD100 coming out soon I'm rethinking my plans, but would still dearly love to shoot a scope format picture. Is there a lens on the market that I could use with the HD100 to create the 2.35:1 aspect ratio I need?
Bill Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2005, 02:59 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I don't know the filter size of the shipping lens, but I'd bet it's an 82mm. Unfortunately no one makes an anamorphic adapter for that lens size. I guess you could try to fit Panasonic's 72mm adapter on the lens, but that adapter is made for shooting in standard def.

I've read of someone trying an anamorphic adapter on the new Sony HDV cameras. The adapter produced soft looking images due to its inability to give the kind of resolution necessary for high def.

If you can wait until the Panasonic HVX comes out, you could shoot 2.35 letterbox and still have more resolution than the HD100 will give you (this is based on the published specs of the cameras, not on actual operation.) And you won't have to worry about the additional focus problems inherent in anamorhic adapters.
Kenn Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2005, 06:20 PM   #3
Tourist

Thanks Ken. Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought.

Just done some tests on 720x1280 animation uprezzed to 1080x1920, cropped and then transferred to 35mm scope. the results looked good enough to me. maybe I'll shoot the feature straight 16:9, taking special care with the framing and crop it if I should feel like going to scope.
Bill Alvin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems