Capturing issues - GY-HD200UB at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 13th, 2009, 10:46 AM   #1
Tourist

Capturing issues - GY-HD200UB

Hello,

This is my first post. Glad to find a forum dedicated to this camera!

We've had issues capturing footage (720p30) to use in Premiere Pro CS4. When capturing directly in Premiere, we lose audio/video sync (a seemingly common Premiere problem). I tried using HDVSplit and this kept the footage in sync throughout the project.

Here's the problem: When capturing in HDVSplit, sometimes the timecode gets completely screwed up. Capturing a 30-minute tape might yield a 3-minute clip with random pieces of the tape on there. As you scroll through the clip in Windows Media Player, the timecode randomly increases (up to several hours!). It won't import in Premiere. It's always a different section of tape that won't capture. Sometimes parts that wouldn't capture on the first try would work on the second or third.

Possible causes? I think the camera might not be sending out proper timecode (or it keeps breaking timecode). I've been pretty careful with the firewire port since reading the warning on this forum a few weeks ago. We tried capturing on three different computers, with different firewire cables. No luck. I even tried to run it off in Adobe OnLocation. The signal was choppy.

The camera is great, but it's been near useless not being able to capture our footage. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks, JB
Jack Banatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 07:12 AM   #2
Contributor

Is the computer recognising the camera straight away? It sounds like you have an issue with your firewire port. There is also a freeware capture program fro the camera CapDVHS
http://www.yamabe.org/softbody.html#CapDVHS
This will allow you to capture the .m2t streams directly, but I don't know if you then need to transcode for Adobe Premiere.

There are two potential issues with the f/wire port - 1 is a blown board which is a Very expensive repair and the other I've read about is a physical issue where the Firewire socket becomes detached from the board - can possibly be repaired by a competent technician.

Secondly there were firmware upgrades that addressed issues with the camera - you should check you are on the most up to date firmware.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems