Jvc HD check list at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 22nd, 2009, 11:54 AM   #1
Major Player

Jvc HD check list

Getting ready for a shoot with my new camera. Was wondering if anyone had a Check list as to the steps to prep your camera for a shoot (e.g. Clean lense, white balance, etc). If there's already one available I would appreciate it if you could point me to it. Thx.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 01:30 PM   #2
Trustee

Good idea - I'd print and laminate that!
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 01:50 PM   #3
Major Player

I'll bite -

First the obvious stuff, charge batteries, clean lens, make sure you are in the mode/preset you want.

The two most important things (I think) are to check for dead pixels and set the cameras back focus. You will need an HD monitor to do this. Also the back focus of the HD100 drifts a bit with temperature,etc so it's great if you can check it during the shoot as well.
Burk Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 06:27 PM   #4
Regular Crew

"set the cameras back focus. You will need an HD monitor to do this. Also the back focus of the HD100 drifts a bit with temperature,etc so it's great if you can check it during the shoot as well."

Burk makes (certainly from my experience) a crucial, easily overlooked point. I personally have had to learn this the hard way.... Check the back focus even from going from air conditioned interiors to any exterior location shots. Obviously you should also set it before every project.

Jay Webster
Director/Cameraman
New York
Jay Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 11:36 PM   #5
Major Player

Daylight shooting.. add a screw on 2ND filter *(Hoya HMC for instance) , and set your built ND to 2.
Gain off. White balance. especially when adding screw on ND filters. They say it doesn't change the color balance. They lie... it does...
a new REAL white card every season, rotate old card to older cameras.
night shooting, TAKE OFF THE SCREW ON ND FILTER!!!! rewhite balance or pick a balance to keep the red street lights red..... Turn down your built in ND filters... ...
don't gain over 9+.
ALWAYS pack 2 cleaning tapes with you. You never know if one fails while you have a "Dirty Head" message...

Remember with your shoulder mounted rig you are going to look more professional than many of your competitors, so it is important to act like it. Professional, friendly, courtious, if something goes wrong, don't let anyone know, fix it or fake it. You got the shoulder rig, the other guy/gal has a handy-cam... Your as much of the center of attention as your talent. You spent the money for a fully manual HD camera and know how to use it, time to prove it.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems