DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   JVC GY HD 1XX vs Sony HDW750 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/467831-jvc-gy-hd-1xx-vs-sony-hdw750.html)

Robert Adams November 16th, 2009 09:07 AM

JVC GY HD 1XX vs Sony HDW750

Hi all..

A client has asked if my GY HD111 (Pal version of the HD110) will hold up as a second camera with a Sony HDW750 as number 1 cam.

I haven't got the facility to upload a sample clip of HDV for them to make a comparison, and though I've searched here and elsewhere I can't find an uncompressed sample HDV clip shot on this camera for them to look at.

Has anyone uploaded such a thing? Or can point me to where I might find one?

Thanks and best wishes

Rob Adams

Kennedy Maxwell November 16th, 2009 10:35 AM

You might want to look at HD Cuisine | Ed Henry | Portland Oregon. It was shot with a HD100 camera.

Robert Adams November 16th, 2009 10:47 AM

Thanks Kennedy - that's a good start (and an amazing tour de force!).

But is there anything out there shot in real-world conditions (like, on location somewhere bright and dusty) rather than in a studio?

R

John Mitchell November 16th, 2009 06:15 PM

Robert - the HDW750 is going to be different (and better) in many ways. There is going to be a marked resolution difference, less noise, superior contrast in bright conditions etc. It will also have way better 2/3" glass on the front unless you own the 18x Fujinon. At the very least you will need a matte box because of the insufficient ND filters on the 111e in bright conditions.

Without running side by side tests and intercutting the footage, I'd say a risky proposition at best.

Robert Adams November 17th, 2009 05:35 AM

Yeah, well that's what I think too - having shot several films on the HDW750, I know that they are totally different beasts. Thing is, this is a current affairs project, where we will sometimes need a smaller camera for some sequences, and sometimes need a "B" cam for noddies and opposite angles on interviews. The client is talking about bringing a Sony Z1 for the B cam, and I'm arguing that my HD111 will be better than that. Obviously - as a freelancer - I want the client to use my camera if possible!

So the question should actually be: With a choice between an HD111 and a Z1 as B cam to a HDW750, which is better? and, can I persuade the client that the HD111 is so much better that it is worth them hiring mine, rather than bringing their own Z1?

I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and upload a clip in uncompressed HDV for them to have a look at.

Robert Adams April 19th, 2010 07:21 AM

Straight comparison

Hi all,

Well the film is out; I shot most of it on a Sony HD730; B camera operator used my JVC HD111 P, on tape, ingesting the material into FCP using Apple Pro Res.

The film is on Al Jazeera English, in the "Rageh Omaar Reports" strand, and is called "Zimbabwe, A State of Denial". Remaining broadcast times (NB all time GMT/UTC) are Saturday 24: 0300; Sunday 25: 1900; Monday 26: 1400; Saturday 1 May: 0300; Sunday 2 May: 1900; Monday 3 May: 1400.

The JVC picked up all the side angles in interviews, cutaways and detail shots; pretty much everything else that isn't archive was shot on the HD-730. If you watch it in HD it's clear that the USD5000 (including the lens) JVC has held up pretty well against the USD50,000 Sony with a USD24,000 Canon HD lens.

There is a quality difference, of course; but at the point of delivery - ie on Jo public's TV screen - there's not a lot to chose.

R

Robert Adams April 19th, 2010 09:19 AM

Up on YouTube

Should anyone be interested, the film is up on YouTube in HD:

YouTube - The Rageh Omaar Report: Zimbabwe - State of Denial

R

Simon Denny April 19th, 2010 02:03 PM

Nice work mate. Did you edit this?

Cheers

Robert Adams April 20th, 2010 02:42 AM

thanks

Thanks Simon - no, I only shot the film. It was edited by Adrian Billing, a Zimbabwean who works in Doha for Al Jaz. He was with Sky before that. He's a really good guy, and a great editor. He shot second camera on the doco. Directed by Damian Clarke, also an Al Jazeera staffer.