DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Hi Res uploaded HDV footage available? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/467962-hi-res-uploaded-hdv-footage-available.html)

Robert Adams November 18th, 2009 10:09 AM

Hi Res uploaded HDV footage available?

Hi there

further to my last thread, I'm refining the request: has anyone uploaded a hi-res file of location HDV 720p footage shot on the GY-HD series cameras? I guess a short clip or trailer from a documentary would be ideal.

If so, can you point me to it?

Thanks.

R

Alex Humphrey November 19th, 2009 09:41 PM

do you mean still in raw HDV form or something that has been converted to a more web freindly format that is still 720p.. like something in iTunes?

Robert Adams November 20th, 2009 02:15 AM

well, I guess the higher res the better - but I doubt my internet connection could handle something in RAW!

The right something on iTunes would be great... 'specially if it is demonstrably shot on the GY-HD series.

You got something in mind?

R

Alex Humphrey November 20th, 2009 08:50 AM

What sort of thing are you looking for? I thought you where using the JVC HD series for a while now? Maybe I can try uploading something to vimeo or youtube that's short and they won't reincode it too badly. Or where you thinking of some still frames?

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-h...tock-lens.html

But here is something I found for free on vimeo.com looks pretty good, but a fair amount of macroblocking due to vimeo.

as far as iTunes:

Gabriel on iTunes was shot with the first run of the JVC HD100 and there wasn't a good way to edit it yet when it came out, all with the stock 16x lens. iTunes is only SD, but it is encoded very well and looks better than most DirecTV HD broadcast.

Little People Big World is also shot on the JVC line and on iTunes in SD.

an inconvenient truth on iTunes in SD had all or most of the non-forum or outside footage shot with a JVC HD100 or HD110. I don't think the JVC was utilized welll in that movie, but it intercut with the $60k Sony pretty well.

hmm the only HD stuff on iTunes that I can find is 24. It's mostly 35mm, but there are pickup scens and outdoor establishing shots that are often done with the JVC line.

Alex Humphrey November 20th, 2009 09:02 AM

I uploaded this a little over a year ago. It was with my JVC HD110, with 16x lens at nearl full zoom (where it sucks) and clouds where rolling over about to rain. So no direct sunlight, clouds acted like a big soft box. Lots of dust, and who knows how I encoded this for the web. the original looked a lot better.

YouTube - Potter Valley Rodeo 2008 with JVC HD110 720p HD

Robert Adams November 20th, 2009 12:11 PM

Thanks Alex...

.. you're a star. Thanks for this.

Yes, you're right - I've had my JVC for almost three years, but I've only been asked to shoot a couple of times in HDV; most of my clients want SD - cf; our conversation on Joe Benoit's thread the other day. Those for whom I have shot on HDV have taken tapes home for the edit, and I've not seen the finished result. No one's ever complained, but I still don't really know what this baby can do!

The situation here is as I explained on the JVC vs Sony HDW thread: a broadcast client has asked me to use their HDW750 on a current affairs doc shoot; they want a B cam, too; I'm working on persuading them to hire my HD111 rather than bring their Z1 as B cam. More money for me.

Not unreasonably, the client wants to know what my camera can do before they commit.

Hence the request to the network.

The stills you pointed me to are excellent, as are the references to TX shot on the camera. And the clip from Vimeo should help persuade the client too. I like the look of your rodeo clip, but it's been mightily compressed by youtube. I've shown them some stuff that I've shot in SD, which gives them an idea of lens/ colour balance/ light range.

I guess that with what you've pointed me to here, they should be able to make a call. Otherwise I'll just shoot some stuff and post 'em the tape....

Thanks again, buddy. All the best

R

Alex Humphrey November 20th, 2009 06:38 PM

I think you should do some research now on making a color profile to bring your JVC in line with the sony 750 color matrix and gama. With some effort and tests you should get something good pretty quickly. That would be the biggest stumbling block or home run depending upon if you do it or not.

I would start with the top sticky on this forum: "HD100 Series Scene File Recipes & Downloadable .SCN files" and go from there. if you are able, have them shoot a color chart under a known light source and see how close you can get the color chart to match on your camera. You want to demonstrate that not only resolution will be good, (better than the Z1 24f out of the gate) but a good match for the Sony 750 for color matrix. The Z1 might be closer at first for color, but the JVC has it beat for dynamic range by a stop or 2, and you can make a profile in the JVC to closely match the Sony 750. It won't be perfect, but better than the Z1. If you don't spend the time now you might miss out since the Sony Z1 will be out of the box closer to the Sony 750 than your JVC. Of course they can adjust the color in the z1 as well, so if you can't convince them to use yours, be sure they make a profile in the Sony to match the final profile in the Sony 750 just to make the editor's life easier later. I worked with sony gear for years, not because I liked it, but because 2 other camera operators i worked with had them. Life is a LOT easier when you have the same brand of camera or if you can have a camera with repeatable user adjustable color matrixes. Of course You will want to find out what final color they are picking for their 750 as it is, since there is not guarantee that they will be using the standard matrix out of the box anymore than any of use the standard settings on our JVC... though to be honest I stick pretty close to factory on my HD110, with cine-gama on of course.

Justin Deming November 23rd, 2009 08:41 PM

I'm not sure if this will help or not, but I thought I would put it up for you. I shot this video while in Iraq for my Army buddies. It's one of my better videos so far. It's on youtube, but i put it up in HD, so if you use the HD viewing option you can see somthing close to the full res.

I shot it all handheld in 720 30P.

Also I use Paolo's true color profile, it seems to look gresat for me, I haven't needed to try matching another camera so far.

YouTube - Meatheads

Kennedy Maxwell November 23rd, 2009 10:41 PM

Why don't you just go out and shoot something yourself? You've got the camera and obviously know how to use it as well as anyone. Besides your footage would not have suffered compression degradation as You Tube or other material might.