Basic/minimum computer requirements for HD110&HD201 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old November 23rd, 2009, 07:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Basic/minimum computer requirements for HD110&HD201

Hello,

We have a JVC HD110 & HD201, we are planning to buy a laptop (Pc & mac and minimum budget) for acquiring the video (HDV 720p 25 & 50) live through the firewire port to save straight to hard disk. What are the basic/minimum requirements (processor, hardisk speed, ram, etc) for the computer for this task.

Thanks in advance.
Jose Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 12:00 AM   #2
Trustee

Requirements

Hi
I have a laptop with 4GB Ram, core 2 duo 2,4 GHz and an Nvidia 9500 with a full HD screen.

I did a short film once while directly streaming the HDV via firewire on a smaller laptop with only 1GB Ram and weaker processor. The firewire connected to an expresscard slot (pcmcia?). I used the Cineform trial version to complete the project and used Adobe OnLocation to monitor the footage while it streamed. It was smooth and I never felt like the laptop ever slowed me down.

The most important thing you need for streaming is a fast hard drive. So if your budget is low, I suggest getting a laptop with two separate hard drives - so that one is always free to capture the media without getting interrupted by other software. if this is not possible, use an external hard disk via firewire (not USB).

However, for editing with HD (either 720 or 1080), I would strongly suggest you have a desktop for the editing and finishing work; and use the cheap laptop for the capturing on location. But trust me, if you're shooting indie films or something similar, you'll hate the laptop solution and probably opt for the tape capture method and then use the camera to capture footage onto the computer later on.

I hope this helps.
Old November 25th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #3
Trustee

If you're looking for the minimum laptop to do the job, pretty much any laptop with a firewire port will do. I use a 3 year old Dell E1705 with 1GB RAM and a 100GB (5400 RPM) hard drive to do exactly what you're describing using Adobe OnLocation CS3 software. The live video on the computer screen looks like it's about 10fps, but it captures 720/30p flawlessly.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 02:13 PM   #4
Inner Circle

You can also get good deals on Firestore these days. Elegant solution. I bought a brand new one for $600.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 05:01 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Where did you find one at that price? I may be needing a new one soon.
David Allen Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 02:37 AM   #6
Inner Circle

B and H. Dunno if they still have that price.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems