FS-5 vs. JVC HD100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 1st, 2009, 01:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

FS-5 vs. JVC HD100

Looking to buy a DTE recorder and was looking for opinions on either the FS-5 or the JVC HD100. Price favors the FS-5 but didn't notice to much difference between both of them. Also it appears that neither one of them can record in 720/60. Is that right? Not to big of a deal as I don't use that setting often except when I film sports.

Also mounting options. Looking to buy one for my HD100 and HD 200.

Hate to change subjects but has anyone found a good "on camera" monitor (around 7") that is as clear as the camera's LCD display. Bought a $450 monitor a year ago and not even close.

Thanks in advance.

Carlos
Carlos San Roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 01:08 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Forgot to add I use FCP.

Carlos
Old December 1st, 2009, 07:30 PM   #3
Wrangler

Carlos

Do you mean the DR-HD100 (equivalent in design to Focus FS-4) or the MR-HD100 (equivalent in design to the Focus FS-5) ?

Either way the "ProHD" branded version will give you more compatibility with the JVC cameras, including EVF readouts of the DTE status and remaining record time. I think this is a must when you are shooting handheld.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:29 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Tim,

I was originally comparing the MR-HD100 to the Focus FS-5. I forgot about the DR-HD100. For obvious reasons I respect your opinion so if Pro HD gets your vote then OK. But I'm looking to buy two of them and it looks like I could get into the DR's for $1200 less then if I buy two MR's. Is there a big enough difference to move up to the MR.

In regards to the monitor a few posts steered me to that Small HD DP1 monitor. Have you by chance seen it in action? Or do you have any suggestion on camera mounted monitors?

Thanks

Carlos
Old December 2nd, 2009, 05:00 PM   #5
Inner Circle

If you use FCP then I think the DRHD100 is better because you record in QT and can go straight to your timeline. If you have a PC, save yourself the money and get the generic version.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 05:43 PM   #6
Wrangler

That's also a good point Brian. I'm not sure how far Focus supports pulldown removal within HDV Quicktime streams on the vanilla versions (FS-4 or FS-5)

However, if Carlos went with the cheaper Focus FS-4HD or FS5 and recorded in m2t then he could simply use the inexpensive ClipWrap to wrap the m2t into Quicktime MOV during the copy process from DTE to computer hard drive.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 12:15 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Just to add more options, the FSH-200 also works with those cameras, and records to QT. I'm editing a 2 camera shoot right now with clips from the FSH-200. No hard drive, it uses CF cards (I have 3 32 gig cards and can record all day). No moving parts and the clips load directly into FCP without log & capture. I still put a tape in the camera for backup.
Ed
Ed Dooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 06:58 PM   #8
Wrangler

Ed, on a side note, does the FSH-200 split the files the same way as the DR-HD100, with "d01.MOV","d02.MOV", etc ?

Thanks for your help. Tim
Old December 3rd, 2009, 11:07 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Not sure how the HD-100 does it (not sure if you mean that files are labeled sequentially,
or if you mean that a constant recorded stream is broken up into multiple clips).
On the shoot I just did, the cameras rolled for about an hour at a time. The .mov clips had long names like P130054801.mov, then P17395008.mov (meaning that the numbering wasn't sequential). I format the CF cards as UDF rather than Fat32, so I was getting something like 20 gig files (I'm not at that computer, so I'm remembering the best I can, and the file numbers are made up, but give you the idea of how they're named).
Ed
Old December 4th, 2009, 03:22 PM   #10
Wrangler

That makes sense if you are allowed to use UDF and not forced to use FAT-32 like on the DR-HD100. I was curious because I just wrote a piece of software that will string a bunch of split MOV files back together.
Old December 9th, 2009, 01:09 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Ed, I think you've convinced me to go with the FSH200. I have an HD 100 and 200. Does the mount that comes with the FSH 200 mount to those cameras? Not sure which camera you have. Is there a better mount?

It appears it uses the Scan Disk Extreme III CF card. Do you use a regular card reader to copy them to your hard drive then drag them into your FCP browser?

Carlos
Old December 10th, 2009, 11:45 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I have the 110U. The mount that comes with the unit is for the camera handle (which gets in the way of carrying the camera), but I have an IDX battery system, and its mounting plate includes a side bracket with holes drilled that I attached the unit to. The bracket also includes a powertap for the FS-H200, but the plug I have was in the way of the unit mounting, so I cut a little off the FS-H200 mounting plate and it works fine now. There's probably a different powertap plug that doesn't get in the way, but my solution works fine.
I have a CF card reader (USB), but I usually use the unit itself, which comes with a USB connector for off-loading to a computer.
Ed
Old December 13th, 2009, 12:26 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Thanks Ed,

I'll try your suggestions on mounting.

I have my 200's now so just a couple of questions about setup.

For the record and DTE format do you recommend the HDV and Quicktime format. I edit on FCP.
And for the UDF FS Perm setup did you go with the read-only setting or the read-write setting. They seem to recommend the read-write for Mac, but then say it takes a long time to mount the drive in this setting.

Thanks,

Carlos
Old December 14th, 2009, 08:59 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Yes, I use HDV and QT (MOV).
I set it to Read/Write. Mounting hasn't been an issue. I haven't timed it,
but I haven't ever felt it took too long to mount.
Old December 16th, 2009, 05:14 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Hi Ed,

Having some problems. The FSH 200 doesn't seem to respond to the camera in External mode. I saw one of your other post and switched it to Syncro. When I press play on the camera the 200 seems to be recording but the TC doesn't seem to move. Also in External the display reads 720/30P TC (which is what the camera is set to) but when I switch it to Syncro the display goes to 1080/60i TC.

Am I missing something here?

Carlos
Carlos San Roman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems