Firestore compatibility at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 23rd, 2009, 06:17 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Firestore compatibility

I'm looking at this FS-4 HD DTE this guy is selling, hoping to go tapeless on my JVC 110 u.

http://www.focusinfo.com/dynassets/d...S-4%20Line.pdf

One thing that struck me was that, on that page, if you scroll down to technical specifications" and look at the "HDV DTE File Formats" they list MPEG-2 ts (.m2t), QuickTime HDV 1080i 50/60 and 720p 30." under the pro model; and just MPEG-2 under the standard version.

Not sure of what that difference means. My editing skills are still under construction.

And I was wondering why 720p at 24 frames wasn't included on that PRO list. Does it not handle 24 frame files or is it an oversite or am I misreading/misunderstanding the specs?

Also, any other feedback on this product, or those like it, is appreciated.

Thanks
Chuck
Chuck Anschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 11:13 AM   #2
Major Player

that might be a older pdf file from when apple hadn't supported 24p 720p in FCP yet. Where you going to edit on a PC or Mac and what software? If you are going to edit ona Mac you will want the Pro or the DR-HD100 since it aquires in Quicktime so you can edit natively. If you are editing in PC, then you can use any of the FS series. I have the DR-HD100 which talks back and forth between the JVC camera (HD110) and the firestore drive a little more (extra data shows up in the viewfinder when recording) than just the FS-4ProHD or other FS-4 series DTE would have. No issues on my end... however Apple never supported the 480p 60fps in FCP, only imovie... weird. But again if you are editing on a PC with say Adobe Premier you would have no problems with any as far as I know. Though other people on a PC platform should chime in with their experience.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 03:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Alex. That is helpful. I'll be editing on a PC, either Vegas or Adobe. I just want to make sure that everything I can do via tape, I can do with the firestore.
Chuck Anschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #4
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Anschutz View Post
And I was wondering why 720p at 24 frames wasn't included on that PRO list. Does it not handle 24 frame files or is it an oversite or am I misreading/misunderstanding the specs?
Hi Chuck,

The 720p 24 recording feature is exclusive to the DR-HD100's. It's a capability that required additional engineering collaboration between JVC and Focus Enhancements to make happen.

Hope this helps clarify your inquiry.

Happy Holidays,
Craig
Old December 26th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Craig,

The Focus MR-HD100 (which was also a Focus/JVC design collaboration), also does 720P/24, and is a much better drive than the DR-HD100.

I wouldn't even bother using anything else but the MR-HD100 with JVC cams, it's that good a drive/cam match.
Old December 26th, 2009, 06:32 PM   #6
JVC America

I have to agree with you from a technology standpoint, Enzo. Thanks for your feedback. There's also a lot more features, including wireless meta data input capability and playback on the LCD screen.

If you can afford the MR-HD100, it's the way to go. If not, then the DR-HD100 is a great choice.

Craig
Old December 27th, 2009, 01:06 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Craig, good points.

The MR-HD100 has not received the very _long_ overdue now upgrade (like the FS-5) that will enable you to view aliased clips on the LCD. Do you have any idea when we can expect this upgrade?

The huge advantages the MR has over the DR is that you can use the UDF file system (or FAT 32 if you have to - but the UDF file system does not split the clips like FAT 32 does), it makes FCP XML files for each clip, and as you mentioned, you can add meta data to the clips on the fly via its built in WiFi (I use the iPhone to access it), it is a much more reliable drive than the DR (with four drives in use, and over a year in the field, we have not had even one single corrupted file), the MR does QT native in HDV 720p 24/25/30/50/60, and 1080i 60/50 as well, and of course, .m2t in the same HDV capture / frame rates. It also interfaces to a computer (PC or Mac) via high speed USB, not Firewire, so you can either import or just drag 'n drop the files over.

Add to that the very well thought out and constructed mounting cage (mounts to the rear of the Anton Bauer battery system via a bracket, and can be powered off the D-Tap) that also adds just enough weight to perfectly balance out a 200B with a 17x up on your shoulder, and I personally think it's the perfect match for JVC ProHD cams.

As for price, that always comes down to the question, just how much is the data you just shot worth?

BTW, we also tested a couple of the FS-H200 units over a three month period. Besides not having any real interface to the JVC ProHD line, we also had corrupted cards (using genuine SanDisk CF cards) on both units - the corrupted files could not be recovered, even by SanDisk. This is always going to be the downside of solid state (complex, many variable affecting data corruption, not easily recoverable) vs. hard drive technology (simple, very few variables affecting data corruption, almost always recoverable).
Old December 28th, 2009, 04:57 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Yanagi View Post
Hi Chuck,

The 720p 24 recording feature is exclusive to the DR-HD100's. It's a capability that required additional engineering collaboration between JVC and Focus Enhancements to make happen.
g
Is this accurate? I set my JVC to 720 24p all the time and it seems to record fine. What am I recording then if not 720 24p?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems