DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   will tapes damage my cam? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/474886-will-tapes-damage-my-cam.html)

Simon J. Harris March 16th, 2010 05:08 AM

will tapes damage my cam?

Hi All,

I have a 100 series camera and was wondering to what degree reviewing tapes from another manufacturer might damage my camera? I only have one camera now but i wanted to look through a few tapes that were recorded on Panasonic tapes.

I cant imagine lookong at 2 or 3 tapes is going to do any real damage but maybe i am wrong. Would someone be kind enough to give an opinion on this?

Regards to all,

Simon

Don Bloom March 16th, 2010 05:29 AM

Unless the tapes are made of sandpaper there will be no more damage to the heads than using the tape brand you are currently using. HOWEVER!!!!! having said that, there are a couple of caveates. First, why are you changing to another brand of tape? And secondly, if it were me, I would run a head cleaner tape of the same brand as the new tapes thru the camera prior to using the new make of tapes. CAUTION follow the directions to the letter or you could do some damage to the heads. Then before going back to the original brand of tapes, run the head cleaner of that brand thru. Again follow directions carefully.
The biggest diffrence in tapes today is the lubrication, dry or wet, and that's what gums up the heads and can cause problems. Careful and considerate use of cleaning tapes can go a long way.

Noa Put March 16th, 2010 05:50 AM

Here is something interesting to read about tape lubricants:http://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/assets/f...dvtapelube.pdf

Corey Williams March 16th, 2010 10:10 AM

Don't mix wet and dry tapes.

Ed Dooley March 16th, 2010 11:25 AM

Corey's reply is funny following the post about the Sony test (I know, you probably didn't read it first).
Ed

Shaun Roemich March 16th, 2010 12:11 PM

Ok... JUST BECAUSE SOME OF YOU HAVEN'T EXPERIENCED THE DREADED "mixed tape stock clog", DOESN'T MEAN IT DOESN'T EXIST!

I normally don't "yell" but as someone who HAS experienced the phenomenon, it exists, whether frequently or infrequently.

Panasonic and JVC stock have clogged the heads of my former Sony PD150 and Sony stock rendered my client's JVC DV feeder deck unusable after a few weeks.

It exists. There are ways to minimize the risk, including head cleaning but tape is one of the cheapest things in our business. Use tape formulated for your camera. Reuse tape IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD NEW.

Sorry guys. I'm not going to budge on this. Tape stock mixing CAN clog your heads. I personally can't run the risk of bringing back tapes with drop outs therefore fresh stock each and every time. JVC branded HDV tape only (and YES, it is pricey... $13 CDN each for me)

Corey Williams March 16th, 2010 12:51 PM

Ed, I guess I was too busy answering the question. All i saw was sony and the word lube in the link. Figured it was talking about sony's wet stuff.

Ed Dooley March 17th, 2010 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich (Post 1500417)
JVC branded HDV tape only (and YES, it is pricey... $13 CDN each for me)

Even though the industry doesn't believe it still happens, I play it safe and only use JVC tapes. But $13? You're getting ripped off. Both Tapeonline.com and B&H sell it for $9.25 US ($9.33 Can), and they both ship to Canada. I hope you're not paying $4 per tape for shipping. :-)
Ed

Ed Dooley March 17th, 2010 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey Williams (Post 1500436)
Ed, I guess I was too busy answering the question. All i saw was sony and the word lube in the link. Figured it was talking about sony's wet stuff.

Sony and lube, and wet stuff, what kind of forum is this? :-)
Ed

Shaun Roemich March 17th, 2010 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Dooley (Post 1501021)
$9.25 US ($9.33 Can)

Ah yes, but surprisingly EVERY time I import something from the States, I pay MUCH worse exchange plus get screwed for brokerage and and and...

Tape is cheap. I buy from my dealer that I buy EVERYTHING from (and who is also a DVi sponsor now!) and just factor in the costs... Including shipping from what USED to be 2000kms away and is now 4500kms away! (I moved 3 provinces west and STILL deal with the same folks)