JVC HD200 + Canon EF lenses. Best option to interface these to get 35mm-style DOF? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 16th, 2010, 07:14 AM   #1
Regular Crew

JVC HD200 + Canon EF lenses. Best option to interface these to get 35mm-style DOF?

Hello all, I'm sure this is traceable somewhere in these forums, but I'm hoping for a more direct response. We've been doing some shooting with the 7D, and it is spectacular in terms of visuals. That being said, we love the advantages of you know, actually using a camera that can record usable audio, backs up to tape, etc. :) (insert rimshot here)

We have the JVC adapter, but 16mm DOF is just not enough, and PL lenses are too pricey.

So, what is the best tool to put between what we have - HD200 and EF lenses. Hopefully the camera does not grow to the length of a bazooka.

jpb
John-Paul Bonadonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 01:07 AM   #2
Trustee

a 35mm adapter. and if you have a good relay lens(expensive) your rig wont get to be bazooka length.

otherwise, using stock lens as relay + 35 adapter + 35mm lens. In my case it got to be 99cm long. -at least its not a meter! ;-)

-and because of THAT... I now use a 7D.
Old April 17th, 2010, 10:47 AM   #3
Regular Crew

you could use the adapters the mtf services sells, I have one for my HD100 and nikon lenses and it works great. I believe they now have them for canon lenses.

Mounts & Adaptors
John Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 12:05 PM   #4
Trustee

I also have that, from another maker, BUT it gives you all telephoto look. Not ideal in most scenarios. I only used it for nature shots, like mating butterflies.
Old April 18th, 2010, 10:13 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replies. I know that merely using an adapter leads to the telephoto look, and I'm definitely not interested in that. Help me out with the actual product I'll require... Redrock? M2? These are things I've heard of. And then does it need an adapter in front of it?

Thanks!

jpb
Old April 18th, 2010, 12:14 PM   #6
Trustee

Redrock m2 (encore) IS an adapter.

Also there is the SGblade, a cinevate Brevis and the letus extreme and ultimate.

Pick from these and you'll be fine.

Since you have the HD200, you wont need the filp modules which would have added to the bulk and length. Just get the adapter, rail support and choose the lens mount you need.
Old April 18th, 2010, 09:05 PM   #7
Regular Crew

excellent!

Ok! Thanks for the guidance.

Now, for anyone tuning in to this thread - recommendations please!
Old April 18th, 2010, 09:42 PM   #8
Trustee

Don't ever go for the cheap ones. The best ones are a tad expensive. For the JVC, the best adapter is what the JVC makes, but it's way overpriced.
Old April 19th, 2010, 01:29 AM   #9
Trustee

I highly recommend going for a spinning adapter. Also, I'd look for used adapters from reliable sellers as a lot of people are selling this to migrate to DSLRS.

Theres one here in the JVC threads, his name is Cameron Frtitz, and his selling. I think he has a vibrating brevis.
Old April 19th, 2010, 07:06 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sareesh Sudhakaran View Post
Don't ever go for the cheap ones. The best ones are a tad expensive. For the JVC, the best adapter is what the JVC makes, but it's way overpriced.
what lens adapter does JVC make? I think what you meant is the 16mm lens optical adapter. I don't think thats what the OP wanted.
Old April 20th, 2010, 06:54 PM   #11
Regular Crew

We have the JVC adapter, and used it for a single shoot, and the DOF is (as advertised) equivalent to that of Super16mm, and I can tell you that is nowhere near as shallow as 35mm.

jpb
John-Paul Bonadonna is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems