HD 100 Won't turn on. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 16th, 2010, 06:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HD 100 Won't turn on.

So, today I shot with my used HD 100 for the first time. As I was capturing the battery died about half-way through the capture. I then switched out the battery and attempted to power it on, nothing happened. I disconnected everything and tried turning it on with three different batteries and it still hasn't turned on. The only thing I can think of that could have been a problem was me turning the camera on and off a lot throughout the day to conserve power.

Anyone have any insight/advise I'm really starting to fret here.

Thanks in advance,
-Dan
Dan Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 04:59 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Probably just a fuse blown.
Have you tried turning it on with the power adaptor instead of the battery?
Phil Balsdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 06:53 AM   #3
Major Player

Sounds like a blown fuse. These things are not user serviceable on this camera, unfortunately. I've got one that needs to go back, too.

JVC Professional Customer Support - Authorized Service Center Locator
Eric Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 02:10 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Alright well that's a relief sort of... anyone know what the general turn around time is and how much it costs to replace a fuse? I'm hoping to be out shooting again by the end of June. Also, because I bought it used I don't have a power adapter, just the batteries.

As an after thought, is it possible to shoot in HD on the JVC and capture using a cheapo Chinese knock off HDV camera as a deck as opposed to the JVC? Any major drawbacks to this? Because that's what I've done in the with DV but I'm not sure about HDV...
Old May 17th, 2010, 02:24 PM   #5
Major Player

Well, your post reminded me that I had to get this taken care of for a multi-camera shoot coming up in June. So, I called up their service center and asked both of those same questions just today. Current turn time, I'm told, is 3 weeks before your received camera even gets on the bench. Then, they'll call you with an estimate for repair. I'm told it's $150/hr. for service, plus whatever parts they need to use. I'm sure the fuse is a cheap part, but with shipping and everything, I'm budgeting $200 for this repair.

Frankly, on any other professional camera I've ever owned, this was a user-serviceable item. So, I'm pretty disappointed that a 25 cent part is going to cost me about $200 plus a month of down time. Ridiculous!
I'm going to think twice before going with JVC again.
Old May 17th, 2010, 02:28 PM   #6
Major Player

Oh yeah, about your HDV via an external camera question.... JVC uses a pretty underused version of the HDV spec - I think just about everyone else uses HDV2, but these cameras are HDV1. So, your only real option (and the one that I use) is the Firestore hard drive recorder. It's not cheap, but it sure does speed up the workflow.
Old May 17th, 2010, 03:08 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Wow, that's a bit insane. I called the pro service line twice today but no one picked up so thanks for letting me know. Oh and thanks for the heads up on the firestore hopefully one day I'll invest in one. Good luck with your camera!
Old June 1st, 2010, 06:21 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Well, after about 10 seprate failed calls to JVC's "Pro service" I gave up on them entirely. I rememered seeing a post about Tek Media doing JVC repairs so I looked into them. I gave them a ring and they said they could do a fuse replacement so, I sent it in. Well, a week passed the camera arrived and it turned out it's a powerboard failure. So, It's gonna run me about $750 to get it repaired :/.
Dan Frantz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems