Fairly comprehensive HD100 image gallery now online at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 20th, 2005, 10:58 AM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

Fairly comprehensive HD100 image gallery now online

Howdy from DV Expo East in The Big Apple,

I'll make a general announcement about DV Info Net's new Image Gallery (see new link in the nav bar above) sometime later tonight (hopefully), but for now, those of you who are interested in the JVC GY-HD100 can get a first look at our Gallery plus some photos of the HD100 which you haven't seen before.

There are other HD100 images online at other websites, but I think this one is the biggest yet, with more images and larger imagse sizes. If you're a lurker and not a DV Info Net member, then you're limited to just the image thumbnails and descriptions. You need to be a registered DV Info Net member to have access to the full-size images.

Our new Image Gallery is located at http://www.dvinfo.net/gallery/index.php

The HD100 image gallery is composed of more than sixty photos from the JVC booth at NAB2005. The direct location of the HD100 gallery is:

http://www.dvinfo.net/gallery/browseimages.php?c=13

That category is divided into sections covering the stock, studio and cine HD100 configurations plus the P+S Technik Mini35 option and more. Enjoy,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2005, 11:43 AM   #2
Major Player

Thanks Chris! Good to get some additional looks at the HD100...
Old July 20th, 2005, 01:09 PM   #3
Hollywood Studio Rentals

Not completely happy with...

How the camera mounts only to the front QR shoe, leaving the back dangle in space. In a decked-out situation, if I put a monitor on a bracket on the rear, add a A/B adapter plate with a Hytron100, on the front a 3 stage mattebox/eyebrow/flaps,wide angle supplement and on the top shoe the 80gig HD I fear the camera will snap in half. I've already done that to a DVX100a and it wasn't pretty. I'm pretty certian the front shoe is the same as our CineAlta uses. Even looks like a Sony VCT-U14 QR shoe. Only 4 (or 6) bolts hold that front shoe on, the rest of the weight sits on the back alignment spud. And what of the balancing and centering? Seems a bit forward on the stix. 6 weeks and counting 'till shipping. Any comments/suggestions?
Old July 21st, 2005, 01:58 PM   #4
Major Player

Wow! Learned at least a couple of new things!

Thanks, Chris, for the gallery. After going through them, I almost feel as though I've handled the 100 myself. Certainly you've shown a couple of things that interested me.

One was that the JVC site mentioned the IDX battery system as being an accessory, but without definite info. Now that I've seen the setup, I'm glad that I'll be able to keep my 96 watt-hour batts and charger. The adapter seems to consist of a mock-JVC battery with the IDX plate attached to it. I wonder how long one could power the 100, sans light, on these batteries?

Another thing was the cheekpad monitor. When I first saw a photo of the 100, I thought that it was a speaker, but the literature makes no mention of it. You photo proves otherwise.

The tripod plate does look a lot like the old, familiar Sony type we all know. I still wish to know if I can keep mine, too.

Size comparison photo: With the IDX battery, the length is about the same as for the full-size camera, but the weight must be half. A huge bonus to us who only work outdoors.

About that matte box: is it a Croziel (sp?) I've never used one, but the knurled knob and lever intrigue me. Am I right that the knob provides a very fine geared focus, and the lever locks the setting? I realize that HD is less tolerant of focus pocus, so this might be very useful.

Thanks again for the pics!
Old July 21st, 2005, 03:58 PM   #5
Contributor

Excellent job!
I couldn't tell if there's a backfocus knob on the lens--is there? The one I see just under the macro button could be back focus or it could be the release knob.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 05:31 PM   #6
Trustee

Hey Chris did you ever find out any information on the "box" that replaces the tape unit with a sdi output?

Depending on how much more this version of the camera costs this would be a better option for those who are crazy like me to edit uncompressed HD.

If it costs more than $1500 extra then I might as well just get a component to SDI converter or go with my current plan on getting a Blackmagic Multibridge.

That box sure does looked hacked however. Maybe it was a temp unit for the show and they will have a better looking one by shipping time.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2005, 07:06 AM   #7
Major Player

What I want to know is if that box is something you can switch out yourself. Then I could ues the tape deck when ever I'm out shooting post types of projects, but for my live IMAG stuff, I could slap that box on and CCU the cam...
Old July 24th, 2005, 02:21 PM   #8
Major Player

You can actually hook it up to a CCU? Wow! So this means the tape mechanism is removable to insert other options?
Frederic Segard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 02:30 PM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Well, it's not removeable by the *end user,* no. That's just a conceptual prototype in those photos. I'll follow up on all the other questions posted here later on tonight hopefully.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 03:21 PM   #10
Major Player

I've got an order for two of them if they make that removable for the end user--that would solve a lot of problems for me...
Old July 24th, 2005, 04:06 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet
Hey Chris did you ever find out any information on the "box" that replaces the tape unit with a sdi output?

Depending on how much more this version of the camera costs this would be a better option for those who are crazy like me to edit uncompressed HD.

If it costs more than $1500 extra then I might as well just get a component to SDI converter or go with my current plan on getting a Blackmagic Multibridge.

That box sure does looked hacked however. Maybe it was a temp unit for the show and they will have a better looking one by shipping time.
Not SDI. That's Triax, for connecting the camera to a Live Truck or similar. It powers the camera, shoves video and audio down to the truck, and also sometimes has intercom.
Tom Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 04:26 PM   #12
Major Player

Actually, from what I could see in the gallery, that same box had two SDI connections...
Old July 24th, 2005, 04:57 PM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Boze
About that matte box: is it a Croziel (sp?) I've never used one, but the knurled knob and lever intrigue me. Am I right that the knob provides a very fine geared focus, and the lever locks the setting?
Doug,

The knob is direct drive, not geared down. But it is a lot more accessible than pulling focus from the barrel directly, plus it can be marked by a camera assistant onto the white ring with a wipe-off marker. The lever is called a speed crank, and allows an assistant to make a very rapid rack-focus. This isn't really needed on a video lens where the total revolution of the lens is quite a short throw; on some film lenses, it can require several rotations of the barrel to get from one end of the focus scale to the other, necessitating the crank.
Old July 24th, 2005, 05:43 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Dooley
Actually, from what I could see in the gallery, that same box had two SDI connections...
I think you might have misunderstood me. The 2 silver ports are the Triax. It's carried over a certain type of BNC cable. Live trucks commonly use it, because it can be used for hundreds of feet with very little signal loss on small cables. CCU is the big cable. That thing you'd be pretty hard-pressed to do moving shots inside of a school with a Live Truck outside, whereas one of the local TV stations did this, using Triax. (I was there doing some filming on DV as well.)
Tom Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 05:47 PM   #15
Major Player

Oh, my bad. I just made an incorrect assumption based on other people's reports of an SDI version.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems