DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Intercut HD200 and 7D in docu/bio I just made (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/481208-intercut-hd200-7d-docu-bio-i-just-made.html)

Ted Ramasola July 1st, 2010 02:57 AM

Intercut HD200 and 7D in docu/bio I just made

I'm currently using the 7D now but last week I needed a B cam for an interview for a bio/doc of our new Provincial Governor for his inauguration.
So I grabbed the JVC with stock lens and did the shoot. The JVC did the mid shots while the 7D did the close up in the interview sequence.

Dan Parkes July 1st, 2010 03:53 AM

Thanks Ted, always enjoy watching your work, very professional.

Any thoughts on comparing using a DSLR vs the GY-HD series cameras in the field? We are very happy with our 201 and have no thoughts of changing at present as our workflow is ideal (tape+harddrive, 35mm adapter when required) for our production company, but clearly the size of the 7D and lenses/depth of field is a plus. Just the other day I attended an editor's showcase where for the first time I started hearing some negative comments such as "video cameras are for video, still cameras are for stills" and some drawbacks of DSLRs are: anti-aliasing, rolling shutters, limited durations, sound and overheating.

Would appreciate any of your thoughts/comparisons when you have the time!

Regards
Dan

Ted Ramasola July 1st, 2010 04:15 AM

Dan,

Thanks for the positive feedback. We basically have the same arsenal as far as the JVC is concerned. We have the 100 and 200. Recorded it to firestore and used a custom built 35/midformat adapter using an sgpro achromat.

My take is this. When DSLRs started shooting video with the Nikon d90, we tested it against our JVCs. It was a no go.
The image quality of the Nikon with its mjpeg codec simply fell apart and doesnt stand a chance for our needs.
However, when the canon 5D arrived, we still hesitated due to lack of 24P and manual controls.
When the 7D arrived, we tried it. And then, it was like being emancipated from the bondage of slavery.
-The image quality was very good.
-There was no more need for our lens adapters.
-Money is saved since we can keep on shooting tightly scheduled outdoor projects till its dark.
-Moire is now controlled in problematic shots using the caprock, shown by these tests I did.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...-moire-7d.html
-Weight is a life and money saver due to lesser checkin baggage and working with a very small crew or non at all.
-Creative shots is now easy to do and possible, (underwater cases for SLRs are way cheaper!)

At the end, the robustness of the image from the JVC which is debate-ably better than the canon is simply overwhelmed by the positive things going for the Canon DSLRs.

Its important to add that I do mostly docs, corporates and commercials, so I now turned over the JVCs to our event coverage department.

They cover weddings, and other events which STILL need the form factor and long record times of the JVCs.

Dan Parkes July 1st, 2010 08:27 AM

Thanks for the comprehensive reply Ted!

I read your other thread on the aliasing/moire issue which was interesting -seems you are on to a fix there but with some sharpness and contrast tradeoffs. Are the issues of rolling shutters, sound and overheating issues at all, or just rumour or older models?

It is certainly good to be in contact with someone who has access to both types of cameras to make the comparison. While we are happy with our JVC setup we are always looking to keep up-to-date (in fact we are working on a 3D project at the moment, but that is another story...) so in the future this might be the way to go, especially if event work becomes more feasible.

Many thanks
Dan

Ted Ramasola July 1st, 2010 08:36 AM

Dan,

Yes, there are trade offs in the battle against moire. But its a filter that only gets whipped out when the situation arises. Mostly it doesn't.

The JVCs had there own issues which we learned to overcome, like lateral CA at full open iris, CA at full tele, frozen frames even with a firestore drive, .etc.

Rolling shutter is there with any CMOS cameras. That includes the RED one which I have here as well.

With that said, I still pick up the 7D over it due to its cumbersome nature.

Overheating here in the tropics does pop out occasionally but is not a big deal. Just flip it off for a few secs, then back on.

This is only after prolonged use of several hours under hot conditions. If your shaded or in a cool room this is not an issue.

I record sound separately on a ZOOM h4n with AKG shotgun mic.

I use the sound recorded by the 7D as guide track in post.

In case your interested, have you seen the low light and High ISO test i did with the red one and 7D?