DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   JVC Discontinuing its ProHD Tape??? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/483207-jvc-discontinuing-its-prohd-tape.html)

Ron Fabienke August 10th, 2010 11:18 PM

JVC Discontinuing its ProHD Tape???

I was just informed tonight and saw a copy of their marketing bulletin, that on Aug 4th JVC issued a notice to dealers that when existing stock is gone on the MDV63PROHD cassettes, that is it....no more. Did all of the existing owners of the GY-HD 100 and 200 series of their camcorders just get abandoned and unsupported, in that the closest dry version of cassette....Panasonic has lots of drop outs with JVC hardware, I've been told by a pro production house that has tried alternatives.

This is a tape question but I posted in the camcorder section as it directly affects all owners of these units, not to mention their resale value if and when a customer might want to switch to one of the newer models. If true, and there is no acceptable other cassette to use, how is this "ethical" to drop physical media support after a short period of years for this highly marketed platform?? Am I missing something here?

Allan Black August 11th, 2010 04:57 AM

Is there an indication what tape JVC is replacing it with?

Cheers.

Shaun Roemich August 11th, 2010 09:46 AM

Based on an e-mail I just sent my dealer who is a DVI Sponsor this information is absolutely TRUE. No word on a suitable replacement.

I am SOME upset right now.

Shaun Roemich August 11th, 2010 09:53 AM

Allan: JVC is CLOSING the factory that makes the tape, again according to my dealer, so I DOUBT there is a replacement solution.

Ron, thanks for sharing.

I've enquired as to a SAFE replacement tape. I'll let you know what I hear back.

Ron Fabienke August 11th, 2010 12:04 PM

ONE chance to get it captured type shooting. No "do overs". Events that cannot be restaged. That is the bar here for whatever someone says will be acceptable replacements. Even the JVC tape of course has some moments. But this company I referenced tried for some slightly lower costs other manufacturers' top-of-the-line "similarly lubricated" technology tape options and had to continue coming back to the JVC tape.

Shaun Roemich August 11th, 2010 12:10 PM

If Craig Yanagi is out there reading, I think we'd like to hear from him on this. I'm feeling absolutely betrayed by JVC at the moment.

Allan Black August 11th, 2010 04:44 PM

Shaun and guys, in a practical sense you have to either stock up on JVC, migrate to another brand or get into solid state storage.

If you stock up, don't forget cleaner tapes. Panasonic no longer import cleaners into Aust.
Cheers.

Shaun Roemich August 11th, 2010 05:00 PM

Yeah, planning on stocking up. The timing sucks though.

John Abbey August 11th, 2010 05:55 PM

well this does suck, that's the only tape I have put thru my hd100 .. I am sure there will be some other replacement tape...but just in case I just ordered a bunch from B&H

Allan Black August 11th, 2010 05:58 PM

Looks like JVC took post 1 to heart .. http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-bla...etic-tape.html

Cheers.

Giuseppe Pugliese August 17th, 2010 04:37 PM

Just use Panasonic PQ Masters - used them the whole life of my cameras never had an issue with them, ever.

William Hohauser August 23rd, 2010 06:44 AM

I have been using Fujifilm DV141HD HDV tape for years and had good lock so far.

Craig Yanagi August 24th, 2010 04:08 PM

Substitute for MDV63PROHD

While the JVC MDV63PROHD media is still available through
our reseller channels in the US, I've been informed by our factory
product personnel that the Panasonic AY-HDVM63MQ, or Master
Quality media, has similar characteristics and would be a viable
substitute for those who cannot access this supply.

Forum participants such as William and Giuseppe have found that
other brands can be used with the ProHD camcorders with success,
and the question of using different brands of media has been discussed
ad nauseum under "The Long Black Line" thread, and in particular at the
following link: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-bla...ntroversy.html

If you jump to post #81 by Alister Chapman a clear and concise
explanation is provided. A longer (and perhaps more painful) POV
by yours truly is posted on #73.

I hope this and the prior postings are of help to you all.

Alex Humphrey September 8th, 2010 01:02 PM

Thanks Craig! You have always got the goods on the info. Thanks for always being there for us!

Andrew Carter October 5th, 2010 07:39 AM

Is there a suitable make of PRO HD tape you can use from a similar manufacturer? I've just getten one of these cameras and I'm going to be seriously annoyed if I cant record to HD if i choose?!

Thanks