DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   GY HD250 with nanoFlash (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/483789-gy-hd250-nanoflash.html)

Randy Durham August 24th, 2010 03:14 PM

GY HD250 with nanoFlash

Hi all. I am preparing for a shoot on Friday that will have to be shot on 1080i so I rented (2) nanoFlash recorders to connect to my (2) JVC GY-HD250U cameras. I have setup the cameras to send the 1080i signal to the HD/SDI output and the signal is feeding fine. However I am having two issues.

1) The recorded signal seems to have a lot of aliasing on edges and on white paper on a desk, etc. Is there something I can do in the camera to minimize the aliasing? I am currently recording at 100Mbs on the nanoFlash. Is 50Mbs sufficient?

2) The TimeCode output of the camera is not running, since it is obviously not rolling tape. Is there a way to set the TC generator on the HD250 to "continuous run" or "time of day" code? If not I guess I'll have to rent an external TC generator.

If anyone has had experience recording on the nanoFlash with the HD/SDI out of the JVC and could share some tips, I would be most grateful.

Randy Durham August 24th, 2010 03:18 PM

Forgot to ask... is Long-GOP preferable to Intraframe for editing in FCP?

Randy Durham August 24th, 2010 04:26 PM

I think I have figured out the continuous run time code problem. By setting Timecode on both cameras to "External" and then connecting the TC out of one camera to the TC in on the other, both cameras are now running off the time code from the master camera. When TC is placed into External mode it automatically starts generating code, in effect Continuous Run. The TC is passing thru the HD-SDI feed to both nanoFlash units and my first tests importing those recorded clips into FCP found that the cameras locked up perfectly first time. Sweeeeeeeet!

Not sure about the aliasing yet. It may be that I am just used to working with 24p and 30p and haven't seen an interlaced signal in awhile. :)

Claude Mangold August 26th, 2010 02:41 AM

don't you need to genlock the two cams as well ?

Marc Colemont August 26th, 2010 08:56 AM

My 5 cents:
I always record in 720P whatever the client wants afterwards as final product. As I find the quality and resolution better in progressive native resolution of the CCD (and in general 720P has more resolution then 1080i but that's a whole other discussion).
When the edit is finished, only then I convert to interlaced in post when needed. Then you also have choices left which software you want to use, and to create webbased video clips in perfect quality rather then having to de-interlace original footage.
And making interlaced footage from progressive frames is a way easier algorithm then having to de-interlace for software/hardware systems.