Web review about JVC GY-HD100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 28th, 2005, 07:44 PM   #1
New Boot

Web review about JVC GY-HD100

Hello,

We made a first run with the JVC GY-HD100 prototype.
Pictures in Edius interface are from the camcorder. From this date i made some shots with a new model and improvement in quality of picture is important.

This paper is here.

http://www.repaire.net/site/tournage...c_gy_hd100.php

Best regards.

Sylvain

from repaire.net
Sylvain Pallix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2005, 10:37 AM   #2
Trustee

Mssr. Pallix,

Je ne parlez Francais. I know, with a name like mine that is almost
criminal! ;)

I hope you don't mind me posting this Google
translation. I skipped the parts those on this board know about (specs.).

I or Chris Hurd will remove it you want.
///////////////

Impossible to judge quality of the produced images since the machine is not finalized. JVC made an indispensable condition of it not to delay a first gallop of test. The Japanese engineers have just developed a very new processing circuit of the image HD which does not exist on this machine.
To have an idea of the ergonomics of the product...

This first outline for a very awaited camera already makes it possible to have an idea of the ergonomics of the product. For the few hours of use, we confined ourselves with the HDV, primarily collected in 30p. We however engaged the 720 24p and 720 25p to validate the correct operation of these rates of catches of sights. The 24p is of an interest for carryforwards cinema on 16 or 35 mm with an identical rate of diffusion facilitating the transfers. But to make climb rate improves fluidity of panoramic or that of characters or moving traffic within the framework. A specific treatment "Smooth Motion" will still improve the panoramic ones. And if the camera proposes 50p/60p in not compressed on direct exits YUV, cassette of the type mini-FD on the other hand we remain well in MPEG-2 TS of format HDV. For the continuation, the Den will put in comparative frontal a JVC Gy-hd100 and its rival Sony Fx-1. the ideal would be of course to even have future Panasonic Ag-hvx 200 in DVCPro HD for these same tests. But it can probable that the latter is available before the autumn.

The part I found most interesting is:
<<<The Japanese engineers have just developed a very new processing circuit of the image HD which does not exist on this machine.>>>

Could that be the HD-SDI output I crave?
Old July 29th, 2005, 08:05 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I love Google!

French to English Translation of article courtesy of Google:
http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools

Don
Don Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2005, 10:27 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Not finalized?

How recently was this test and review? As far as I can tell in the translation, It looks like July 05 is the only date on the article. That would make an August release impossible if the camera is as incomplete as the review suggests. I guess I would rather have JVC take their time and do it right than to have them release a piece of garbage. But, I just don't like that they have August 2005 listed as the release date on the JVC website. If the design is still "not finalized" that would mean that they have a long ways to go before it hits the shelves. Good thing I didn't pre-order yet, I would be even more upset!
Ian E. Pearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2005, 11:56 PM   #5
Skyonic New York

the version i saw at dv east was pretty much complete...
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2005, 07:29 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian E. Pearson
How recently was this test and review? As far as I can tell in the translation, It looks like July 05 is the only date on the article. That would make an August release impossible if the camera is as incomplete as the review suggests.
Sorry but that's just not true. "Incomplete" market test samples (MT samples) are done like this all the time and yes they need only a couple of weeks to apply the final tweaks and finish things up. This is standard procedure for all camcorder manufacturers, there is nothing out of the oridinary going on here.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2005, 10:27 AM   #7
HDV Cinema

Chris is right. The "new" chip is likely to simple a "rev" of the chip they are using now. Intel, and all LSI foundries, do this all the time.

Sometimes is to fix a bug -- remember the intel that did erroneous math!

Sometimes, they'll note a tiny glitch in a signal that shouldn't be there and then see how altering the chip layout can eliminate the glitch.

I must admit, there are times when I read posts from video folks, that I wish there was a prerequiste 10 years in the computer industry before being allowed to shoot video. :)

Camera's are now computers with optics. All the issues that computer folks know about -- die size, 130nm verses 90nm process, voltage, current, heat generation, and power consumption -- determime the nature of our cameras. They all start with semiconder technology.

If that's not your background, it really doesn't make much sense for you to comment on camera technology. For example, how often do we read "all JVC needs to do is speed up their MPEG-2 encoder" to offer 720p60.

Doubling the speed of ANY semiconductor is a huge task. You must shrink the die so signals travel less far. That means you must use a finer process. You must increase voltage which increases current which increases power consumption which decreases battery life and increases heat dissipation.

Of course we will get 720p60. But ALL semiconder technology follows a curve of development.

Chris, if I may take the liberty of asking folks to read 2 of my stories on "Computers for HDV Editing" at another site -- readers will see exactly how Intel's P4 family has progressed and why -- amazingly -- clock speeds have gone down this year rather than up.

The stories (Part 1 and Part 2) will also help Apple folks understand what they will be getting in their Macs next year. There are valid reasons why IBM didn't get to 3GHz. There are valid reasons why Apple went with Intel. (Although, when it comes two dual-core design, my background tells me AMD has the better design.) Head to: http://www.gyhduser.com/

Back to the HD100. Frankly, I think it will be introduced as a shipping product at IBC in September. Notice how all the hands on tests have come from Region 50 areas. Region 50 countries came very close to ruling (EBU) that ONLY progressive HD will be allowed. JVC has a better chance of beating Sony in Region 50 than in the USA where folks still think rez is more important than image quality.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems