What are the required items to use HDD recorder? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 27th, 2010, 07:54 AM   #1
New Boot

What are the required items to use HDD recorder?

Hi Again,

Thanks for all the responses in my previous topic. I'm looking to get a HDD recorder for the camera. I'd like to know what are you recommendations for HD100U and what are the other items required to run a setup like this. I have only the bare camera as it arrived from JVC.

I've seen many pictures using large battery mounts and all, and i have no idea on any of these things.

Thanks,
Gayan
Gayan Gunasekara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2010, 12:28 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I use a firestore fsh 200 with my hd100 and love it..got real sick of capturing tape. Before that I was using a firestore fs4. I also am using an anton bauer battery, so I just put some velcro on the back of rhe battery, and some on the back of the firestore and stick em together, works great. I also use a dtap cable to power the firestore from the big battery, but thats not totally needed.
John Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2010, 09:24 PM   #3
New Boot

So is it possible to use the HDD without it being powered by the big battery? Cos i have now around 3 original JVC batteries and it would be great if i was able to use it with this.
Old September 28th, 2010, 10:06 AM   #4
Regular Crew

yes you can power either the newer firestores or the older HDD versions with their own internal battery
John Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 04:52 AM   #5
Trustee

Gayan,

Do you mean by JVC battery the v428 batteries?

If they are, this you have to consider. The HD100 camera is a powerhog and JVC made a mistake providing those batteries for the camera.

You can get only 30-45 min from those batteries when new , around 15-20 in a few months.

So you need at least 10! To get you through the day. Charging them takes more than 4 hours each so you can't possible keep up with 3.

For the Firestore, the older models, the battery that comes with the unit runs out quickly, I don't know if they still sell the optional longer hour battery.

This said, if you really want to take advantage of your hd100 you get a 3rd party battery system like the IDX or anton bauer. Use that to power both you camera and Firestore.

Also-you really would need the firestore as the hd100 is prone to dropouts.

What we did before we purchased a hd200 is custom built nicad 12v batteries, converted its output to 7.2 and powered the HD100 with it.

-despite this hassle, the JVC produces some of the best images from an HDV camera out there.
Old September 29th, 2010, 05:52 AM   #6
New Boot

Hi Ted,

Thanks for the info. Yes v428 batteries. But only one is original JVC. The other are 3000mAh and 4000mAh batteries made to fit on this model.

My main concern now is getting a DTE than the batteries. Cos it would make the editing much easier.

I'm thinking of going for Focus Enhancements FS-H200. If you have any other recommendations please let me know.

Thanks
Old October 1st, 2010, 01:22 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I use an older Firestore FS4 velcroed to the IDX battery. Great system. You can find the older Firestores with low mileage here at the classifieds or CL. Brand new they were only $600.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems