Lens mount at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 26th, 2010, 03:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Lens mount

Hi,
Recently I have come across an adapter that fits ‘HD200 lens mount and allows me to use old Canon lenses to do micro videography. After some experimenting, I found out that bigger the zoom lens, farther I can be from the subject to get the same close up. Yes you say, that’s what the zoom is all about, but with this adapter using 70-210 zoom lens I can zoom full frame on an eye from about 3 to 8 feet away. I’d say that’s a long distance micro videography. So while thinking about maybe setting up for shooting wildlife a thought came across: ‘bigger zoom, farther from the subject, closer image’. Soon I found another great deal on a 600mm Canon mounted zoom lens. When it came, I was excited but as soon as I picked it up I found myself dumbfounded. It weighs over 2.25Kg (4.9lb).

So my question is: how heavy lens can I safely hang on the 200’s mount without supporting it?

Here are three sample shots:
Lens mount-still1226_00000.jpg
JVC stock lens zoomed all the way out (the sign is in the middle of the frame).

Lens mount-still1226_00001.jpg
JVC stock lens zoomed all the way in.

Lens mount-still1226_00002.jpg
600mm lens (the sign is about 50m/163ft. away).
Old December 26th, 2010, 03:56 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Just my opinion but I would be extremely careful with that 600 if it's not supported. Careful to the point that if it's not supported at least get a monopod under it. With the weight of that lens there is a whole lot of stress on the mounts.
Old December 27th, 2010, 02:24 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Don,

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, all that weight really is putting a bit more pressure on that mount.
As per your suggestion, here it is with a monopod underneath it.

Lens mount-img_3879a.jpg

I’ll have to search the internet to see if there is anything I can support it with, as I don’t think the distances are in anyway, form, or shape standard (of the shelf).
Old December 27th, 2010, 03:04 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I gotta say that's a monster lookeing piece of glass on that JVC. From the looks of it a monopod OR some sort of brace from the tripod head to the lens is definately needed. It would be tragic for that lens to to hit the ground because the mount broke. Have fun with it, I'll bet the image is awesome.
Old December 28th, 2010, 01:34 AM   #5
Trustee

you need a 15mm rods setup and lens support bracket, out near the end of the lens, not at the tripod mount which will put too much wieght out there. using a setup like this requires a lot of care & respect. I've got a 400mm lens on my 60D, and it has a full rods support setup.
Old December 28th, 2010, 02:39 AM   #6
New Boot

sure with canon lens , for reflex cam , like a 300 or more 600...you lose many light..and yoi increse many rumor, white e color...

I'v try time ago with many differents pentax lens... super zoom but low quality (hd ) and many degrade...(rumor)...
Jimiz Zanei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 11:23 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Jimiz,

Yes, I am aware that there is no substitution for a real lens that is made for ‘that’ exact purpose (and costs thousands of dollars...).
But like I said in the OP, I found the adapter, felt like experimenting, that lead to 600mm lens.
At the end I only spend a bit over $200 on both.
Even if I never use it in a real production, this should be a great educational experience for me.
Old January 1st, 2011, 04:06 PM   #8
Regular Crew

You need extra long matte box rails and a bridge support for the lens.

This is a simple device that fits to the rails with a height adjustable support that can be set to support the lens weight somewhere suitable under the barrel of the lens closer to the front element. It allows you to pan and tilt normally and relieves the mount of most of the weight.

Without this ultimately you will damage the lens mount on the camera.
Phil Balsdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2011, 06:45 AM   #9

What is this adapter that OP is talking about and can I attach Canon EF lenses? Where is the adapter for sale???
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2011, 10:50 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi Lee,

Sorry to say, but this adapter is for Canon FD (manual) lenses only.

Here are my pictures of it:

Lens mount-img_3901a.jpg JVC mount side.
Lens mount-img_3902a.jpg Canon FD side.
Lens mount-img_3903a.jpg From side...

I purchased it on eBay, from a fellow in Warsaw, Poland. As I am writing this, I see he still has 3 more available at $99USD each. The item number is 370463564061.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 07:12 AM   #11

Thanks Rob. I have never used FD lenses before. Their focal length work fine with the HD200 then would you say? Any vignetting?
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2011, 01:09 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Lee,

The Canon FD lens is a full 35mm lens (image: 36mm x 24mm).
On the other hand, HD200 has 1/3” sensor (image: 4.8mm x 3.6mm).
There will never be vignetting in this combination (or direction: FD > 1/3”) because the image projected by the FD lens is many times bigger (x50) than the HD200's sensor is.
The whole setup is for doing macro videography.

Here is an example I shot last year (this was done with DSLR camera, but I am aiming at doing the same with video):

Lens mount-ccd1.jpg
¼” CCD video sensor.

Lens mount-ccd2.jpg
Detail of the connections in the middle of the bottom row.

You could say: it’s like using extreme zoom lens, not exactly for every day event shooting.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems