DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   JVC GY-HD 250 U vs. Final Cut 6.0.6 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/490577-jvc-gy-hd-250-u-vs-final-cut-6-0-6-a.html)

Rodrigo Campos January 23rd, 2011 03:37 AM

JVC GY-HD 250 U vs. Final Cut 6.0.6

Hi there, guys! I am sorry if the issue in this thread has already been presented by someone else, but I have just registered on DVINFO.NET and couldn't find a solution for my problem in the posts I read.

I have got a JVC GY HD 250 U but can't get Final Cut 6.0.6 to recognize it as an external deck, so that I can digitize footage from mini dv tapes. I have tried all sorts of fire wire cables and none of them worked. Is there a CODEC which I have to download or any other procedure that I have to carry out in order to solve this problem?

Thanks a lot for your attention!

Phil Balsdon January 24th, 2011 09:48 PM

This tutorial demonstrates the complete set up and import for FCP. It was recorded with FCP 6 but I now have FCP 7 and the set up is the same.

Philm Takes Blog Archive JVC HDV Video into Final Cut Pro 6

The tutorial is based on a PAL system (25fps) so you'll need to change your frame rate to suit in the appropriate places.

If you still can't get the computer to recognize the camera as a replay deck you may have a Firewire port problem.

On the camera the DV and HDV firewire ports are seperated, so its possible for the camera to be recognised as a DV deck but not an HDV deck.

You must observe the rule about turning your devices off before connecting or unconnecting the firewire cables, see the warning at the top of this page too.

Rodrigo Campos February 15th, 2011 12:01 PM

Thanks a lot for your help, Phil. The video whose link you posted sorted out part of my problems. However, after adjusting Final Cutīs settings as it says in the video, when capturing from my GY HD250 U, Final Cut is shattering any piece of raw material into loads of clips of different sizes. I have tried many different settings, but I canīt get it to capture the material into one big clip or clips of reasonable sizes. Can anyone help me? Anyway, I am gonna start a different thread for this one.

Phil Balsdon February 15th, 2011 03:10 PM

This is normally an issue with Final Cut not seeing the timecode properly the camera. Could be the recorded tape, the heads in the camera or FCP / Mac. FCP keeps seeing TC breaks and thinks you've buttoned off and on.

Firstly what Mac and it's specs (RAM etc).

David Knaggs February 15th, 2011 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodrigo Campos (Post 1618460)
I canīt get it to capture the material into one big clip or clips of reasonable sizes.

This is a very well known and discussed issue with FCP and JVC ProHD.

The simplest and most efficient way is to capture your full-sized clips (or entire tape, if the clip is that long) using a free software application from Apple called “DVHSCap”. It is part of the “FireWire SDK 20” package and can be downloaded from this page:

http://developer.apple.com/sdk/#FireWireX

After you use DVHSCap to capture the footage, it is still in “MPEG-2 Transport Stream” format (called “.m2t” files). You now need to convert these files into a format that will be recognized by Final Cut Pro (i.e. into a QuickTime file).

The best quality (and fastest) way I know of to make the QuickTimes is using a paid application ($49.99) called ClipWrap.

divergent media ScopeBox and ClipWrap Forum at DVinfo.net

ClipWrap

This simply puts a QuickTime wrapper around the .m2t file without any transcoding or degradation of quality. Then you can edit in a native timeline in FCP.

There are other ways to do it (cheaper) but ClipWrap has been 100% satisfactory for me.