More HD101 clips now available from (H)DV Info Net - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old August 18th, 2005, 01:27 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Yeah i should, im just being lazy sorry.
also i'm at work durring the hours they are open :(

Hmm just had a look on there website to email them and noticed they don't have the HD101 in there camera rentals page anymore (Perhaps they having to much fun with it eh)
Phillip Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 02:39 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Jackson
Yeah i should, im just being lazy sorry.
also i'm at work durring the hours they are open :(

Hmm just had a look on there website to email them and noticed they don't have the HD101 in there camera rentals page anymore (Perhaps they having to much fun with it eh)
Hi Phillip

The camera is no longer on the website because we have returned it, pending a replacement. http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=49538
Scott Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 04:23 PM   #33
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
These are new -- thanks again to Scott Webster for submitting them.

This 27MB clip was shot with the JVC GY-HD101E in 720p30.
Without knowing:

1) shutter-speed we can't judge Motion Filter. It must be 1/60th.

2) Without knowing aperature we can't judge sharpness. It can't be too far closed or too far open. Likely it should be kept at about f5.6 (+/- 1 stop) on a lens of this cost.

3) Without knowing the amount of zoom, we can't judge sharpness either. There may be only a certain range in which maximum sharpness (MTF) is acheived. Likewise, chromatic aberations may able to ne minimized by knowing the lens better. That takes time and skill.

4) Without knowing gain, we can't judge noise.

In short, it is nearly pointless to judge ANY camera based up this kind of "testing."

Moreover, comments about the color saturation are equally pointless. This is only the factory setting -- the way JVC likes color. If it looks like the HD10 from the factory that's no surprise. Clearly JVC likes a less saturated look -- which is why many of us love the HD10.

Comments about over-exposure have no value either with a camera that has settings that allow you to adjust the knee point and set either static or dynamic knee.

It's nice that Scott is taking his time to send us these--but they are not really clips upon which judgments can be made.

Moreover, no one in their right mind would just take a camera out of the box and shoot a movie with it. They would spend days adjusting the matrix and settings for the look they want.

And LOOK is subjective. For example: someone posts that it over exposes like the HD10 and they don't like that. I love it, because it gracefully over-exposes like film. It does not hard clip. The DP for ST Enterprise chose film over HD ONLY because film gracefully over exposed on pryro effects whereas HD did not.

The camera has a cheap lens. It may not have highly sensitive CCDs. That's why the camera person must know HOW to use the camera to get great results. This is not a point-and-shoot camcorder, yet some are looking -- and making judgements -- at clips shot as though it were.

Perhaps JVC needs to put a warning sticker on the box. "Caution do not use unless you have experience shooting film or HD -- or have an experienced DP." :)
Old August 18th, 2005, 05:19 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen
Without knowing:

1) shutter-speed we can't judge Motion Filter. It must be 1/60th.

2) Without knowing aperature we can't judge sharpness. It can't be too far closed or too far open. Likely it should be kept at about f5.6 (+/- 1 stop) on a lens of this cost.

3) Without knowing the amount of zoom, we can't judge sharpness either. There may be only a certain range in which maximum sharpness (MTF) is acheived. Likewise, chromatic aberations may able to ne minimized by knowing the lens better. That takes time and skill.

4) Without knowing gain, we can't judge noise.

In short, it is nearly pointless to judge ANY camera based up this kind of "testing."

Moreover, comments about the color saturation are equally pointless. This is only the factory setting -- the way JVC likes color. If it looks like the HD10 from the factory that's no surprise. Clearly JVC likes a less saturated look -- which is why many of us love the HD10.

Comments about over-exposure have no value either with a camera that has settings that allow you to adjust the knee point and set either static or dynamic knee.

It's nice that Scott is taking his time to send us these--but they are not really clips upon which judgments can be made.

Moreover, no one in their right mind would just take a camera out of the box and shoot a movie with it. They would spend days adjusting the matrix and settings for the look they want.

And LOOK is subjective. For example: someone posts that it over exposes like the HD10 and they don't like that. I love it, because it gracefully over-exposes like film. It does not hard clip. The DP for ST Enterprise chose film over HD ONLY because film gracefully over exposed on pryro effects whereas HD did not.

The camera has a cheap lens. It may not have highly sensitive CCDs. That's why the camera person must know HOW to use the camera to get great results. This is not a point-and-shoot camcorder, yet some are looking -- and making judgements -- at clips shot as though it were.

Perhaps JVC needs to put a warning sticker on the box. "Caution do not use unless you have experience shooting film or HD -- or have an experienced DP." :)

Steve, I absolutely agree with you and I am glad the footage is not available for download.

Further to your points what also needs to be taken into account that both samples we provided were converted into quicktime and wmv files. Who knows what changes this also did to the footage.

May be Chris could set up a faq/template for submitting video to dvinfo, format and settings that must be recorded etc
Scott Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2005, 06:54 AM   #35
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Webster
May be Chris could set up a faq/template for submitting video to dvinfo, format and settings that must be recorded etc
An excellent idea, but this is something we would develop together as a community. You guys tell me how it should be, and I'll put it in place here.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems