Issue with footage from HD100 and Mac Pro, anyone have this happen? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 8th, 2011, 10:11 AM   #1
Major Player

Issue with footage from HD100 and Mac Pro, anyone have this happen?

I'm hoping someone here might know why this is happening? I keep thinking there is a camera setting that might be causing this, but since I don't know this camera, I don't know if it is. Here's the deal...

I have been given a hard drive with a months worth of footage, from 3 different cameras. One of those cameras is a JVC HD 100. I'm viewing this footage on my Mac Pro. The clips range from 10 or 12 seconds, on up to 4 or 5 min in length. It doesn't matter the clip length, all of the ones from the JVC do this. Also it doesn't matter if I am viewing them in Final Cut Pro, or Quicktime player. I will use an example of a clip that is 10 sec long. It plays the clip, everything is fine, when it gets to the last frame of the clip, I get a frozen image of that last frame, and the clip timer continues to count up. The Mac seems to think the 10 sec clip is over 2 min in length. When I connected this drive up to my windows machine, and viewed these same clips with VLC media player, all the clips are as they are suppose to be, and display at the correct length. Is there a camera setting that may be causing this? I posted in the FC forum, since it wasn't happening on my windows laptop, I assumed it was a Mac issue. No one there seemed to have a solution, but one other person posted he had similar issues, and was looking for a solution also. I'm posting here, in hopes that someone who has worked with this camera, may have an idea what is going on.

The footage is in quicktime format, recorded onto a camera mounted hard drive (80 gig I believe), 30p720 (if it makes any difference for this discussion)

I don't know if this is a broken timecode issue? It seems on some of these clips, they were in fact part of a longer segment, and were broken down into shorter clips. Because were they stop and the next one starts, doesnt seem to be at a point where he stopped recording, and a little bit later, hit record and started again. I can work around it, just makes for extra work in editing, but they are filming until the end of March, and hope there is a solution that I can either fix on my system, or have them change a setting on the camera or drive, to avoid this in future footage.

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 09:53 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Wow - seems strange. If you bring the files into the PC and then copy them to the Mac do you get the same issue? I don't use FC so can only speculate.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 01:21 AM   #3
Major Player

Intel-Mac problems with 720p

Jeff, I have this as well when using QT7 Pro on my Macbookpro (which is one year old). but the clips are OK when loaded into FCP or into QT10...

We have had real issues with Intel Macs and 720p : like the clip played with sound, but no image - blank window ! on one machine, an IMac bought in September 2010, the vendor was able to fix the problem.

It seems that there is a conflict with some other software on the Mac. The vendor wants to do a favour to his clients by loading the machines up with software stuff , dozens of applications no professional ever uses !

Took the vendor one week to remove the software which caused the conflict, iMac now works fine with all 720p material. the issue remains unresolved on another Macbookpro.

On my laptop, I admit that the time issue and last image freeze is a nuisance but hasnt justified loosing time over it. Probably some conflict issue, even though I have very few applications.

But such small inconvieniences show that Apple is not always as good as they claim .
Claude Mangold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems