DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   AB QR-JVC7/14HDV problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/491698-ab-qr-jvc7-14hdv-problem.html)

Chris Schwein February 13th, 2011 12:07 PM

AB QR-JVC7/14HDV problem

The Anton Bauer mount attached to my HD110 has gotten so finicky that I can't trust it anymore. The round connectors on the AB mount don't make constant contact with the back of the JVC battery input. I've wedged a little foam in between to try and firm the back end that I thought worked for a little while but the camera still powers off intermittently. The reason I put foam in there is because when the weight of the Dionic is put on the bracket it pushes down to far and cuts off power. If I pull at the bottom of the bracket to level it back up it also powers off, so I thought angling it just the right amount by wedging the foam in there would be a short term solution, but it's only helped the issue a little bit. Everything is screwed in tight and properly.

The last time I sent the camera in for service I told JVC to look at it, but they said it's an Anton Bauer issue, so I left it at that. Has anyone run into this trouble? Should I buy a whole new AB mounting bracket thinking that it's their product that is worn out. Or is it more likely that it's JVC's little prongs on the rear end of the camera that aren't functioning properly? Thanks,

Chris

John Sirb February 14th, 2011 06:49 PM

Chris, if your handy with a soldering iron, you can get replacement pins here

Anton/Bauer - Products - Spare Parts

if not, it's pretty easy to remove the plate and send it in to Anton. You should call and ask them

Chris Schwein February 23rd, 2011 08:47 AM

Re: AB QR-JVC7/14HDV problem

I don't think this info helps me. It's not the pins on the back of the Gold Mount plate where an anton bauer battery attaches to. It's the connection that isn't occurring between the back of the JVC and the interior of the Anton adapter. There are no issues with taking it off, I installed it.

Sareesh Sudhakaran February 25th, 2011 10:00 AM

Does the JVC stock battery work? Have you tried another mount (from a friend or a rental agency, etc)?

Chris Schwein February 26th, 2011 10:34 PM

Yes I took the mount off and tried the stock JVC batteries and that worked with no problems. I'm not aware of rental houses around here that use JVC's. I guess I'll get a new one, I don't it's worth trying to get the mount serviced by Anton.

Sareesh Sudhakaran February 26th, 2011 11:01 PM

You could test your AB contacts with a multimeter to see if they are delivering the rated voltage. If you don't have access to a multimeter, you could try any watch/mobile/electronic repair guy in your area. It's an easy way to check if your mount (with the batter) works as rated or not.

Since the JVC contacts are fine, and assuming the AB contacts are also okay by itself, the only issue remaining is a 'loose contact'.

Clean the contacts. Caveat: Before I go ahead, I must warn you that I don't take responsibility for anything going wrong with your system. Find a professional electronic repairman to take you through this. One way you can eliminate the gaps is to fit tiny pieces of aluminium foil between the contacts. They are good conductors. Since the AB mounts have gold connectors, they won't corrode. The only way you can screw this up would be to short the whole thing by not doing it correctly. But it's a way to get your mount working again, if you are willing to take the risk. Don't say I didn't warn you!

Also, if you want a cheaper alternative, Global media pro makes batteries that work beautifully (4 hours per battery) and cost a fraction of AB or IDX. The only downside is the weight - they weigh and look like the JVC stock battery. I bought three batteries and a double charger from them three years ago and never had a problem. I'm not sure they manufacture these batteries anymore, plus they have lousy customer service.

Hope this helps.