Hd-100u at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 4th, 2011, 01:12 AM   #1
Major Player

Hd-100u

Hi,

Been awhile since I have been in the forum but have a question...

I have the GY-HD100U set at 60/30 for frame rate and I need 1280x720 resolution for a project so I set the camera to hdv side to get the 720p. Pinnacle 10.6 not recognizing.Only works when I have it set on the dv setting.

Any suggestions why?

I have another editing system I'll try footage with tomorrow but curious if you might have suggestions/ideas.

Thank you.
Old March 6th, 2011, 08:37 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Hd-100u

Make sure the camera is in VTR mode or it will not be recognised as a deck. Though I'm sure you've already done this.

Are you on Windows 7 or XP? If 7 roll back your firewire drivers to 'Legacy' manually. When you say 60/30 for frame rate, do you mean footage shot at 720p30 or 480p60? Very few programmes will capture the latter. CapDVHS is a good free utility to capture HDV on windows if you have any difficulties with NLEs.
John Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2011, 08:56 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi John,

Thank you for the reply.

I was going to post that I was able to finally get it to capture. I went into the device manager and found the AV/C subunit was in yellow. I manually located the driver and it began to capture. Most of the projects I have needed to shoot have been in SD. But in the past I have been able to capture short HD clips. Once again I receive the message that says the graphics card can't edit in HD. I have not always gotten this message. I have a short clip I wanted to work on in HD and was taking some time to test it out on computer.

I'm looking at upgrading a desktop that I have. From what I have read it's best to have a quad core 2 gb and perhaps 1tb of hard-drive space. What do you think?

The capDVHS, I'll look into that. Thanks for the tip.
Old March 6th, 2011, 09:27 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Lisa,

I'm glad you are now able to capture. I did the same selecting JVC for the driver. I use a JVC BR-HD50 deck for capture and even there JVC's HDV1 is notoriously flaky with capture. I have used the CapDVHS with problematic tapes before and then imported them to the NLE.

I'm not too familiar with Pinnacle (infact to be honest not all) I use Avid Media Composer. So I'm not sure what graphics card you have but it could be to do with the driver or resolution setting. I know with Avid only Nvidia FX Quadro cards work properly. Have a look on the Pinnacle support site for any pointers there:

Pinnacle Systems - Product Support

Your computer spec looks good though I would at least double the ram to 4GB. There is I believe a good deal on an upgrade from Pinnacle Studio to the new Avid Studio version that you might be interested in too.

Best of luck.
Old March 6th, 2011, 10:29 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi John,

I starting testing Lightworks Editshare but that program is not yet able to accept HD capture. It's planned to be added this year from what I read online. Nice looking NLE opensource!

When I went into the drver under device manger, I just clicked on what was showing in the window. It did not give me a JVC option but just had AV/C Subunit so I clicked it and then the capture worked. Peraps I need to go back to look for a specific driver for JVC. I don't go into the device manager much and I certainly do not want to change something incorrectly....self destruct in 5 seconds lol
Old March 6th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #6
Trustee

Download and try HDVSplit. It's free. There are other ones as well. Try this link for more info:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cu...fcp-fce-7.html
Old March 8th, 2011, 07:58 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks for the link.

I'm checking today on upgrading a desktop for hdv editing. How many gigs are you using?
Old March 8th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #8
Trustee

You can make do with 2GB to edit 720p streams from the JVC. You don't really need more RAM unless you are also compositing or planning for H.264 or 1080. At the very least you need a Core 2 Duo CPU and a 7200rpm drive (dedicated) to read and write data.

I edited, composited, graded and finished a full feature film on a Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM laptop, shot on my JVC 111E (the PAL version).

What are your current system specs?

Last edited by Sareesh Sudhakaran; March 8th, 2011 at 09:43 PM. Reason: typo
Sareesh Sudhakaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 06:01 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Sareesh,

It depends on your NLE. It would be very limiting and slow to edit 720p on 2gb for Avid and the option to composite and use 1080 is really mandatory these days. I really recommend 4GB with XP Pro (it can't use any more) and 8gb for Win 7 (you can work with 4gb but it will fly with 8 or more).

Lisa,

I've used Lightworks professionally many years ago and it was a real favourite amongst x-film editors, they seemed to prefer it to Avid mainly because of a Steenbeck type control. I didn't like it (and I was x-film too), the sound editing was severely limited and it was a clunky and had a counter-intuitive interface for me.

I signed up for new the beta version and have tested it for a while. But it's difficult to test without full HD and although sound has improved and it's open-source a lot of the old problems remain for me. I bought an Editshare server system a few years ago and I'm not keen on the company customer care either. I will keep my eye on it though.
Old March 9th, 2011, 08:31 PM   #10
Trustee

I have never used Avid, but it was a breeze on FCP and Adobe CS3 at the time.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems