Extensive HD100 / Mini35 Hands-On Test: Articles, Photos and HD Video - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old August 23rd, 2005, 03:35 PM   #121
Wrangler

Greg,

Given that you don't have a way to adjust the focus while you shooting with a Steadicam or similar stabilizer, the long DoF of DV is a life-saver. Until you zoom in significantly, you should be able to set a medium distance on the lens and shoot away.

By the way, Steadicam is by no means limited to wide angles only--it's very common to shoot longer lens stuff, and it can look great.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 03:38 PM   #122
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Corke
I guess what i'm trying to ask is - How important is focus when shooting dv given the fact that dv is always trying to flatten the dof?
Hi Greg, focus is one of the most common errors when shooting, even on big Hollywood films they get some out-of focus shoots, and even some get filered up to the big screen!

On DV the DOP issue is not a factor to justify not having a good monitor or not paying attention. You must always check and double check the focusing before the shot.

If you are on a non-pro (students/indie eg.) production, please encourage your mates watching the monitor to spot out-of-focus problems.

L
Luis Reggiardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 02:56 PM   #123
Major Player

cheers

Luis, Charles.

Many thanks for your input. Clear and to the point. I love this place much to my wifes consternation. I've been here only a short time but it seems Mr Papert is a pretty big hitter in these parts. This may not be the right place but I believe Charles did a pretty extensive demo on the magicam rig would you say that is the best bang for the buck at the low end?

Cheers (muchos respectas) Greg
Greg Corke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 03:03 PM   #124
Wrangler

Greg:

Yeah, check out the Magiqcam threads for more info on that. I haven't tried the latest version but it looks good. I don't really make recommendations on one rig over the other, although I think the Flyer is the strongest performer in its class, albeit the most expensive.
Old August 24th, 2005, 10:26 PM   #125
Trustee

Coming in a little late in the game, but I'm wondering if since the lenses are interchangable there will be the equivalent of a lens shading feature on the camera. This is available for the 900 and the varicam (I believe) and could well be a neccessity (sp) for any interchangable lens HD camera. Most likely this option would be buried in a menu structure some where.
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 11:02 PM   #126
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hiltgen
Coming in a little late in the game, but I'm wondering if since the lenses are interchangable there will be the equivalent of a lens shading feature on the camera. This is available for the 900 and the varicam (I believe) and could well be a neccessity (sp) for any interchangable lens HD camera. Most likely this option would be buried in a menu structure some where.
I've been as deep as the menus go, and never saw a lens shading function.

I think that's a feature that got left behind at this pricepoint.
Nate Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 11:34 AM   #127
Trustee

Charles,

I am considering going the HD100/mini35 route over other HDV/mini35 options mainly due to ergonomics - before that I had been strongly considering the Z1/FX1 HD by Sony.

Since you have used the HD100 with the series 400 mini35 I was wondering if you could tell me what the highest f-stop you were able to achieve before seeing any ground glass (if any) - or is this "completely" eliminated now with the series 400? When you shot with the DVX100 did the series 400 eliminate all ground glass from appearing when shooting about f5.6?

Many thanks for your answers.
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 03:28 PM   #128
Trustee

Good question.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 03:34 PM   #129
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier
Good question.
Yes good question, but apparently somehow I think my message got posted in the wrong thread? Probably because I replied to a sticky at the top of the HD100 forum.

Hopefully Charles Papert will catch this... I'll try the mini35 forum. Sorry for this mix up.
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 08:24 PM   #130
Wrangler

yup, I posted the response over there.
Old August 25th, 2005, 08:29 PM   #131
Obstreperous Rex

No worries Dennis, I have peeled your posts off that other thread and merged 'em with this one.

The P+S Technik thread that Charles mentions is located at:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=49410

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 12:04 PM   #132
Barry Wan Kenobi

JVC is now linking directly to the article about this footage.

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/Attributes/i...&feature_id=19
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 12:23 PM   #133
Major Player

So obviously they've seen this thread. Unfortunately no one (from JVC) has taken the time to post any information pertaining to the bugs in the initial release. I hope that means they're working on fixing the issues.
Tim Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 01:40 PM   #134
Wrangler

It's listed under their article section as well:

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/Attributes/a...&feature_id=09
Old August 29th, 2005, 04:53 PM   #135
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen van Vuuren
I think you are missing my point. The lens shipping with could have been substantially better for a few thousand more.
We are not missing your point. You simply have no basis for making it except for your claim of what someone else "should have done."

"If you you can buy a better car, buy it."

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems