jvc br-hd50 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old August 20th, 2005, 11:08 AM   #1
Regular Crew

jvc br-hd50

Slightly off topic but a good 1/3 of my money spent on a new camera is on a complementary VTR. With that said, has anyone who bought the hd100 also get the jvc br-hd50?

I really want reviews of the deck. Especially how it handles sony hdv tapes. right now it's the only large format hdv VTR out there.
Edwin Huang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2005, 12:32 PM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin Huang
I really want reviews of the deck. Especially how it handles sony hdv tapes.
AFAIK, it doesn't handle Sony HDV at all.
Nate Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2005, 01:52 PM   #3
Barry Wan Kenobi

Confirmed -- it will not play Sony HDV at all.

It will play back DVCAM for standard-def, but it refuses to play Sony HDV in any way.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2005, 02:19 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Disappointing, i thought it would at least capture from it- maybe not display but dump into the firewire interface. :(

But other than that, does it seem like a solid deck? Does anyone actually have one?
Edwin Huang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2005, 05:46 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Da Deck...

I actually had one on order, but cancelled it because of the Sony incompatability.

From what I can see...the Firestore may be a better alternative right now. At least you can take that to a Sony client and to a post session on it or copy all over to the editor hds.

From all that I can deduece?...it is a problem with Sony holding their cards close to their vests...not a problem with JVC oversight in design.
Old August 21st, 2005, 02:26 AM   #6
Regular Crew

if you WANT to be able to edit ALL HDV formats and save HD100 video heads from hard work, follow these 3 steps:

1- Buy the GY-HD100 to do your shooting if JVCs 720p is your choice.
2- Also, Buy the JVC deck to handle easily JVC's HDV 720p + All MiniDV + all DVcam.
3- Finally, wait some months and buy the CHEAPEST Sony HDV mini handycam available, so you can download/upload any SONY 1080i HDV to and from your computer when you need to.

That way you can edit ANY HDV/DVCAM/MiniDV format available for the lowest cost...

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

L

Last edited by Luis Reggiardo; August 21st, 2005 at 09:39 PM.
Luis Reggiardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2005, 05:13 PM   #7
Major Player

The stupid thing is, not only will the JVC deck not play Sony HDV, but the Sony HDV deck won't play JVC HDV.

What type of standard allows the use of the same logo on two completely incompatible products in this way. They should both be able to at least play each others tapes, and as a deck, they really should be able to record in both formats...

I certainly wouldn't spend money on a deck with such limitations, although I can understand how someone who captures a lot could still get good use from one.
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2005, 05:44 PM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

One interesting thing about the BR-HD50 deck. It accepts *full size* cassettes. I wonder how long it'll be before we see full-size HDV cassettes hit the market...

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2005, 07:28 PM   #9
Major Player

Agreed. I'll bet the JVC HD7000 will have large tape support, but I'd love to see a HD100 in a DV5100 body (adapted to 1/3") with large tape support.

How much extra do you think that would cost if they did it? There would also be much better euronomics for mounting hard drives than the painful way the HD100 does it, not to mention it would probably be better balanced.

I'm split between wanting a high res B/W viewfinder or the colour LCD VF with focus assist...
Old August 21st, 2005, 10:47 PM   #10
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Barwood
The stupid thing is, not only will the JVC deck not play Sony HDV, but the Sony HDV deck won't play JVC HDV.
Only partly true. The Sony deck has a partial playback provision for JVC HDV -- the Sony FX1 can play back JVC HD1 tapes to analog output. It can't play them to firewire (i.e., you can't use any Sony equipment to digitize any JVC tapes!) And I don't know whether the Sony can play back/transport ProHD 24P. But for analog viewing, the Sony can view JVC 30P tapes.

The JVC gear has no provision for recognizing Sony HDV at all. And Sony gear cannot clone or transport any JVC data over firewire. But the Sony stuff can at least be used to view JVC tapes over the analog component outputs.
Old August 21st, 2005, 10:57 PM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
And I don't know whether the Sony can play back/transport ProHD 24P.
That'd be a negatory on that, Bob.

Believe me, I tried.
Nate Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 02:50 AM   #12
Barry Wan Kenobi

Roger. Makes sense, actually, since even JVC's early deck says that it can't play 24P footage either...
Old August 22nd, 2005, 03:08 AM   #13
Major Player

seems strange that the Sony can read the JVC tape, decode the transport stream and output 720p yet it can't route the digital stream straight to the 1394 port, which I would have thought to be easier than analogue out.

I must admit I prefer the Sony deck with the LCD screen, however large tape support could be pretty handy too.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 03:30 AM   #14
Regular Crew

What about SD footage? Or is this across both HDV and SD formats?
Andrew Farrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 03:49 AM   #15
Major Player

I could be very wrong but I think both with do DV from any standard DV source. 576p/480p (which technically arn't DV I think) may be a little problematic, and I would also be careful if the Sony will play back any of the 24fps modes of the JVC.

Hopefully someone else has more on this.
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems