Some first impressions - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old August 28th, 2005, 03:43 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer
Technicality: Gamma rays are electromagnetic radiation (high energy photons) that eminate from atomic nuclear sources such as radioactive materials or from massive cosmic events. The cosmic radiation that gets in through the earth's magnetic polar regions is Galactic Cosmic Radiation (GCR) which is comprised of highly charged particles, mostly protons but occasionally as heavy as iron nuclei, that just whip around randomly in space.

For those who are interested, here is our Space Radiation and Analysis Group's public web page with basic info on such radiation, and also has links to other pages such as a NOAA primer on space weather:

http://srag-nt.jsc.nasa.gov/AboutSRAG/What/What.htm
Thank you Mr. Spock, Kirk out.

(Just kidding, but really thanks for the info).

In a related article over at Slashdot..from NASA..here is one of the solutions being explored to reduce the effects of solar radiation in space. http://science.slashdot.org/science/...tid=160&tid=14

I wonder if you wrap you stuff in plastic garbage bags that would help.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 07:01 PM   #17
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier
Europe sure has HD.
Note I said JVC operation IN Europe -- not Europe itself.

But, in fact, as far as I know there is only one HD service in Europe and one in the UK. Not much more is even planned. Both, I believe, are pay channels that broacast limited fare. It's not like USA and Japan where nearly all prime time programming on all major networks is HD -- plus a half-dozen other HD-only channels.

I expect the BBC to start some service. But, otherwise I suspect there's not much to watch and not much equipment to watch it on.

Production in 1080p24 is popular because without that there will be no sales to the USA.

AUS has more, but I'm not sure how much.
Old August 29th, 2005, 09:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen
AUS has more, but I'm not sure how much.
Australia has a mix, with a couple major stations being 576p, which makes sense for the budget side of things. Other stations are 1080i, and I was told by the editor of Videocamera, and confirmed by the editor of DMW (Digital Media World) that 1080 will continue to be the standard goal.
Some stations have no immediate plan to go HD at all, opting for widescreen SD only at this time.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 09:36 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Just FYI:

In Argentina we dont have a definitive HDTV standard. ATSC 1080i was adopted at first but rumors are that they might change for 720p in the near future.

There are currently no official HD broadcasts. All major 5 air channels have made experimental transmissions in late 90s, but nowadays only 2 of them (Channel 11 & 13) have upgraded their systems fully to HDTV (one to 720p, the other 1080i).

Both channels have HDTV broadcasts but as I said not official ones, they air some TV-shows and some movies (Star Wars Episode I). There has been only one TV-series ever shot in HD (Cinealta 1080i) here, but again was only for "marketing" purposes, nothing long-term.

News programmes from CH 11 & 13 are shot in HD but broadcasted in SD along with the rest of the schedule.

With HD plasmas prices going down (the only HD-capable displays sold here - no HDTV sets) I think we could start seeing consistent HDTV broadcasts beyond 2008... not before.

As motion-picture concerns, there's an ever increasing HD-films being shot with Cinealta, mostly low-budget indie ones. There's also one Viper Thomson but don't know if it has been used yet.

Sony's HDV is being used for commercials more every day (along with DIGIBETA, HDCAM and 16mm).

In SD, again Sony's PD150/170 rules them all...

Sony leads the market here, everybody wants to use the new HDV nowadays, nobody is asking for the DVX100E anymore! People here tend to worship the very latest tech, and aren't prone to balance things and see what's best for every ocassion (this applies to all other cultural issues).

This is how "HD" is not-"seen" in Argentina...

L
Luis Reggiardo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems