DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   HDV-->PAL-SD conversion issue (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/50162-hdv-pal-sd-conversion-issue.html)

Wolfgang Schmid August 28th, 2005 01:16 PM

HDV-->PAL-SD conversion issue

I have tested the 101 during that weekend.

Worked fine so far, in addition I have been able to capture the 720 25p but also 720 24p footage. Not with Vegas yet, but Edius works so far - capturing with mepg tools, ans also capDVHS.

I had installed only the JVC driver from win XP sp1, and that worked fine so far. I tried to install XP sp2 too, but it did not help at all.

However, what did not work at all was the downconversion from HDV 720p to PAL DV-avi. Change of "HDV PB OUTPUT" to PAL and switching the 1994 switch was fine, but when I connected the camcorder via firewire to my PC, I always ended with the error "change 1394 switch", whatever I tried.

So, even if everything else is fine so far, if I cannot downconvert to SD, that is a killer criteria for me.

The unit has been a trial unit only. I heared the rumor that there is a separate capture tool, but my dealer has not been able to deliver that to me too.

However, why does downconversion to SD not work at all??

Michael Maier August 28th, 2005 01:36 PM

Hey Wolfgang, I'm sure threre's a way. I'm not sure of how, since I haven't used the camera or Edius, but I'm sure somebody will shime in.
By the way, did you noticed any dead pixels in the unit you tested? How about the split screen and color shifting defect? Chromatic aberrations on full zoom?
I see you are in Vienna, how much is the HD100 selling for over there? Did you tested it over LB electronics?

Wolfgang Schmid August 28th, 2005 01:52 PM

Yes, I am testing it above LB electronics. Selling seems to run good, at least what you hear from the nice guys. Selling price is about 5500 Euro without DV-in, and 6000 Euros with DV-in (plus tax).

I have not seen anything up to now above the other defects.

And I would like to see that the capturing works with Vegas but also with Edius. But both - Canopus and Sony - state, that the HD100 does not work up to now with their NLEs. Even worser, that JVC does not deliver their own capture tool also with the trial units of the camcorder.

Jiri Bakala August 28th, 2005 03:36 PM

The NLE compatibilty is just a matter of time. All (or at the very least MOST) NLE manufacturers indicated that they will support it. Avid is supposed to do so later in the fall. The suggestion for now is to shoot HDV or DV but post in DV and if needed conform to HDV later. The other path (on projects with a decent budget) is to dump to HDCAM and do offline in DV and then take it to online in HDCAM. More costly but worth it if HD delivery is required and even more so if there is any extensive post image manipulation.

Boyd Ostroff August 28th, 2005 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiri Bakala
All (or at the very least MOST) NLE manufacturers indicated that they will support it.

According to what I've read on Apple's forums, there has been no announced direct support in FCP. Evidently they sent some mixed signals at NAB, but more recently have just said they don't currently support it. Then again, Apple rarely discusses future versions of their software.

Mark Grant August 28th, 2005 04:29 PM

Quote:

Avid is supposed to do so later in the fall. The suggestion for now is to shoot HDV or DV but post in DV and if needed conform to HDV later.
Unfortunately Avid can't even do that yet: it can't capture downconverted DV from my Z1 without crashing.

Yesterday I had to capture the downconverted footage as DV in Premiere 6.0 and then import to Avid: it's kind of sad when a four or five year old version of Premiere can do it and Xpress Pro can't.

Wolfgang Schmid August 28th, 2005 04:58 PM

Well, at least Cineform Connect HD works fine with the HD101. I have just installed the trial, works very well.

Jiri Bakala August 28th, 2005 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Grant
Unfortunately Avid can't even do that yet: it can't capture downconverted DV from my Z1 without crashing.

Mark,
your settings must be incorrect or you have other issues between your Avid and the camera. I have edited two one-hour programs that contained at least 25 hrs of HDV footage that was shot with Z1U. I have been using the SONY HDV deck to capture the downconverted DV. I do also remember that before that we shot some tests with the VX1 (?? can't remember the model - the consumer Sony HDV camera) and I captured the downconverted DV directly from that camera without issues.
Sorry buddy, your problem is elsewhere.
BTW, I am using AXP 4.6 on Mac OS 10.3