DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   GYHD-101...1st impressions from Scotland (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/50164-gyhd-101-1st-impressions-scotland.html)

George Johnston August 28th, 2005 01:50 PM

GYHD-101...1st impressions from Scotland

I have had this camera 2 weeks now and used professionally once so far. Sadly I had to hand over the DV tapes but not before I had a look at them.
I used Panasonic Pro DV 63min tape as I always do and they seemed fine.
I am using the camera in DV mode 16:9. I have noticed the so called mask effect, I see this as more of a small lagg on the sensor like you used to get with the old tube cameras, it's more noticable in moving shots but hey who is going to spend £4K on a moving camera to take still pics with ! So far I can live with this as I hope JVC will come up with a fix to this. I start a big project tomorrow in fact the same project the camera was bought for, I will give you a better idea after tomorrow. The WA lens came last week which screws onto the front of the lens and tracks with the lens as you zoom, a bonus is that you can re apply your lens hood which screws back onto the prime lens giving your WA protection in transit. The battery power is indeed poor and I am glad to have bought 2 spare Hahnel batteries to compensate for this. A feature I really like is the 2 headphone sockets this should be standard on all pro camcorders. I will update this thread after I use the camera tomorrow (Monday).

Michael Maier August 28th, 2005 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Johnston
I have noticed the so called mask effect,

Do you mean the split screen effect?

By the way, how long do the Hahnel batteries last and what's the model number for the HD100?
Thanks.

Steve Mullen August 28th, 2005 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Johnston
I have noticed the so called mask effect, I see this as more of a small lagg on the sensor like you used to get with the old tube cameras, it's more noticable in moving shots but hey who is going to spend £4K on a moving camera to take still pics with ! So far I can live with this as I hope JVC will come up with a fix to this.

Unfortunately your descriptions of "mask" and "lag" doesn't have much meaning to me.

It sounds like the Motion Filter is turned on which is fine at 720p30 -- but may not be a good idea at 720p24 and 720p25 -- too much blur.

Again, you don't describe your settings -- which is really critical if you either want to desribe your impressions or ask for help. Especially if you "hope JVC fixes the problem."

I suspect you do not have the camera set correctly -- perhaps multiple settings are not correct.

George Johnston August 29th, 2005 10:29 AM

Back from filming

Hey I have no problems with this camera, the pictures are superb, the best yet and I thought my previous XL2 was good. I used it this morning in Edinburgh with an FS-4 attached and both worked flawlesly. It took just 9 min to transfer 30mins of footage and I see no sign of the what I thought was picture "Lagg". This is a camera I will enjoy using. If you have any questions I will be back later to answer them.

A. for Michael Mair...I do not see the so called split screen effect.

A. for Steve Mullen...No the Motion filter is not on as I am using the camera in DV50i mode. I am a PAL user.

Michael Maier August 29th, 2005 11:02 AM

George, just to get this staright. You have a PAL HD100 and you have no split screen, color shift or chromatic aberrations at all?

Great! Finally a trouble free PAL HD100. That's good news.

Marty Baggen August 29th, 2005 11:20 AM

Do I understand he is shooting in DV mode? Is the fact he is not shooting HDV a factor with some of the technical concerns?

George Johnston August 30th, 2005 04:14 PM

GY HD-101 PAL version plus tips using an FS4

Michael Maier wrote...
"George, just to get this staright. You have a PAL HD100 and you have no split screen, color shift or chromatic aberrations at all?"

A...Not that I am aware of but this is only the second time using the camera but so far SUPERB.

Marty Baggen wrote...
"Do I understand he is shooting in DV mode? Is the fact he is not shooting HDV a factor with some of the technical concerns?"

A...You might be right I am only using a 3rd of the chips capability in DV mode but just now I have no need for HDV and don't see why I should shoot HDV to get a result that would be a tad better transferred back to DV and there is as yet no way of making HDV DVDs nor playback facilities. I can see the point of HDV if you are playing back to a large screen audience but for educational and corporate videos HDV is in my opinion a waste of time and drive space.
This camera produces 16:9 sexy DV footage that will knock your socks off it's only £400 dearer than a Sony FX1 which I also own but the lens alone makes the JVC an outright winner over the XL2 (Traded this in for JVC) or FX1. PS. The WA lens adaptor is a 0.82 which screws onto the front of the Fuji lens is made by Fuji and works very well, to my trained eye it does not seem to degrade the pics from the prime lens. It also tracks with the lens which allows you to zoom with the WA lens attached. PPS. I am now glad I spent the extra on the 101 because this allows me to view the footage back to the viewfinder via my FS-4...Tip...USING FS4 and DV TAPE together you need to switch on your camera menu, choose "OTHERS" and select menu 2 then choose "1394 REC TRIGGER" then select "SYNCRO", this switches your FS4 on and off when using the camera trigger, set the FS4 to SYNCRO SLAVE mode. Also in order to view your footage back from the FS4 you need to switch your camera to VTR mode.

Michael Maier August 31st, 2005 08:48 AM

Hey George, which dealer did you trade in your XL2 for a HD100? Thanks.

George Johnston August 31st, 2005 11:20 AM

There is only one dealer in the UK

H Preston Pro Video, I have delt with Prestons for over 10 years now and he is the only dealer in the UK who takes trade ins, though your trade in has to be "as new". I traded in my XL2, 3x WA lens and a small ammount of cash for the JVC-GYHD101. It's not rocket science or a great mystery but NO other video dealer touches trade ins which is why they get very little business from Scotland...We all use Prestons up here. www.hpreston.co.uk