DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   May go back to JVC GY series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/501825-may-go-back-jvc-gy-series.html)

Randy Johnson October 20th, 2011 05:54 PM

May go back to JVC GY series

I bought Panasonic AG-HMC 150s for my weddings in place of my GY-HD 100s a few years ago for a couple reasons. 1.I didnt like the frame rate 2. I didnt like the look under tungston lights and 3. most importantly I got tired of paying $1,500 for Firewire repairs.oh and low light performance kinda sucked . Well what happend was I sold a kit to a friend for $2000 who had it for 2 years and finally gave up on trying to pay me. The kit was a good value it had the camera mounting plate, cast tripod anton bauer kit and all. well now im getting it back and I admit I miss the shoulder mount camera a bit BUT it has a blown firewire port. I was thinking of buying a deck BUT I found a couple GY-HD 200's & 250's on ebay for less than a deck. Whats the difference between these cameras and my 100? And should I just get one as a deck? or is this technology just to old to mess with?

Don Bloom October 20th, 2011 08:13 PM

Re: May go back to JVC GY series

While many will argue the tape based HD1XX/2XX series of cameras is outdated I for one have always loved using them and still consider them to be a great value for the dollar. Of course I realize that the new technology may make these cameras seem old but to me it's horses for courses. The idea of a shoulder mount camera that doesn't weigh 20+ pounds, a decent lens or better (depends on which lens you have), the AB battery system, with the right profile the 200/250 series has pretty good low light capabilites, and yes it's tape but today for example I did a 4 hour seminar which required me to shoot and then hand the tapes over to the client so a 200 would have worked great. You could always get a firestore. A friend of mine uses a firstore on his old 100 and combines the footage with his HM700 and has told me he ha never had a problem with the firestore.
I guess a lot depends on the cost of the 200s but if you want to know the differences between the 200/250 compared to the 100/110 take a look thru the JVC forum. there are a lot of posts that talk about the differences. One I know of for sure is the viewfinder. The 200/250 VF is much much better than the 100/110.
Take a look, it can't hurt.
Good luck.

Randy Johnson October 20th, 2011 09:20 PM

Thanks I just may put this puppy back in service. The low light wasnt great but the one thing that really bugged me for weddings is only having 720p 30 for HD I dont like the studder I got on moving things on my weddings espcially table shots. Maybe my brides didnt notice but I did. I think the 200 shoots at 59.94 so I can get one of those for the price of the deck I may be doing good. Question: are the lenses interchangable between the 200 and the 100?

Don Bloom October 21st, 2011 05:31 AM

unless something has changed which I don't think has happened the asnwer is yes they are interchangeable.

Sareesh Sudhakaran October 21st, 2011 06:11 AM

Lens is interchangeable as far as I know. My opinion: forget the deck.

Randy Johnson October 21st, 2011 08:33 AM

I found a GY-HD 200 without a lens for about the price of a deck. That may be my best bet.

Adam Letch October 25th, 2011 08:11 PM

shouldn't be only 720 30p, 24 and 25 as well. The shudder just takes training to shoot that way like with film, different technique

Claude Mangold November 22nd, 2011 01:12 AM

Using a 250 as a deck is pretty limited. When you're used to frame-by-frame machine control with old RS-422 on professional decks (like the rackmount Sony HDCAM or Betacams or JVC) here the deck controls are pretty lousy, the jog wheel on external controls is useless and the shuttle image freezes up in FCP logging window.
I spent 15 minutes yesterday finding & stopping exactly at a short clap image in order to log a scene which had mistakenly not been recorded on HDD.

So don't expect it to perform anything like an external deck (though I don't know how good the JVC HDV deck is).

Other than that, the 250 just a marvelous camera. And tape as backup can be a real plus. Plus Don is right about low-light tweaking - works great. And if you use angled cFW cables, you should have no need for repairs.

Lee Mullen November 22nd, 2011 10:07 PM

HD200 can shoot in both PAL and NTSC as well which is a great feature.

Randy Johnson November 23rd, 2011 07:56 PM

I dont need real deck control I just need firewire capture with scene detection.

Ervin Farkas November 23rd, 2011 10:48 PM

Just say goodbye to tape all together and get a CF card recorder!

Randy Johnson November 27th, 2011 11:53 PM

I cant with a blown firewire port unless they make one with componet in and if they did that would be a mess in the field.

Ian Skurrie January 3rd, 2012 10:13 PM

Just use it with a ninja and a yuv to hdmi comverter which can be bought for less than $100.00.I have actually borrowed a friends set up and it seemed to work OK however I didn't do extensive evaluations. Like you my HD firewire chip is dead.

regards

Ian Skurrie

Randy Johnson January 4th, 2012 10:09 PM

What are you capturing with? Why not just capture YUV? I have a Intensity pro card but if I use it I dont get scene detection. I am looking for a shop that can fix it, if anyone knows of one please let me know.

Mariusz Szynkiewicz January 13th, 2012 04:51 AM

HD 200 works great with old Avid Liquid 7.2.
Actually it was one of the first programs that supports 50p and 60p in 720.
The lenses from 100 and 200 are interchangeable and You can use all 1/3 bayonet mount, even the new Canon lens for JVC HM 700.