720p24 capture at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old August 30th, 2005, 06:19 AM   #1
New Boot

720p24 capture

Hi! Im new to this board!

Do anyone have a solution for capture 720p24?
Im using Final Cut Pro 5.0.2.
Apple has not released the codec yet, so it is not possible
to caprure directly to FCP.

I am interested in ANY solution for PC or Mac.
Software or hardware...

thanx in advance!
Linus Nilsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 07:09 AM   #2
Wrangler

DVHSCAP to capture a .m2t stream...

Then bring that .m2t into MPEGSTREAMCLIP and export a DVCPROHD 720p60 file that will have pulldown added inside the 60fps.

You can transcode to 1280x720 DVCPROHD, which is not the native resolution of the codec (that would be 960x720).
Nate Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 10:50 AM   #3
Barry Wan Kenobi

I have successfully captured it on the PC using both HDV Rack and the original freebie program bundled with the HD1, called (I believe) Pixela HD Capture.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 09:10 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
Then bring that .m2t into MPEGSTREAMCLIP and export a DVCPROHD 720p60 file that will have pulldown added inside the 60fps.
Thanks for the info, Nate. I tired that with the great test footage you guys posted. It worked fine but raises some questions: 1) does MPEGSTREAMCLIP add the pulldown and convert to 60 fps, or is the original .m2t stream that comes over the 1394 connection already at 60fps w/ a pulldown; 2) any ideas on how to remove that pulldown if you wanted to edit at 24fps? Based on my tests, Cinema Tools can not remove pulldown from 720p60 clips and the DVCPRO HD Frame Rate Converter (an FCP plugin) also does not know how to handle them. Any insights would be much appreciated.
Andrew Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 01:20 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
DVHSCAP to capture a .m2t stream...

You can transcode to 1280x720 DVCPROHD, which is not the native resolution of the codec (that would be 960x720).
Thanx alot!
I will try this as soon as I can!
Linus Nilsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 01:28 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Young
Thanks for the info, Nate. I tired that with the great test footage you guys posted. It worked fine but raises some questions: 1) does MPEGSTREAMCLIP add the pulldown and convert to 60 fps, or is the original .m2t stream that comes over the 1394 connection already at 60fps w/ a pulldown; 2) any ideas on how to remove that pulldown if you wanted to edit at 24fps? Based on my tests, Cinema Tools can not remove pulldown from 720p60 clips and the DVCPRO HD Frame Rate Converter (an FCP plugin) also does not know how to handle them. Any insights would be much appreciated.
In the .m2t, there are flags for the repeated frames that just say "there's no real frame here, just play the last one again". MPEGSTREAMCLIP translates this literally into 60fps with redundant frames.

I don't know how one would remove the redundant DVCPROHD frames...I knew Cinema Tools won't do it. On the bright side, 720p60 is valid and works well in FCP if your machine has the horsepower.

Maybe After Effects can do it? Anytime I've ever thrown anything weird like that at it, it's always come through.
Nate Weaver is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems