DVX vs. HD100 Clips - Page 2 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old September 7th, 2005, 11:53 PM   #16
Space Hipster
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 1,508
The FOV and focal length are not the same, so the more telephoto image will look sharper.
__________________
stephen v2
www.insaturnsrings.com
Stephen van Vuuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2005, 12:16 AM   #17
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen van Vuuren
The FOV and focal length are not the same, so the more telephoto image will look sharper.
It's true I screwed up on getting identical frames, but the size of the rocks in the lower left is the same on both shots. There's other things in the frame that are the same size, like the cracks between the bricks.

If you look at it on the right monitor/device the difference is pretty clear regardless.
Nate Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2005, 12:18 AM   #18
Space Hipster
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
It's true I screwed up on getting identical frames, but the size of the rocks in the lower left is the same on both shots. There's other things in the frame that are the same size, like the cracks between the bricks.

If you look at it on the right monitor/device the difference is pretty clear regardless.
The difference is clear but I'm not sure it's meaningful giving the differences in the frames .
__________________
stephen v2
www.insaturnsrings.com
Stephen van Vuuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 07:47 PM   #19
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Portugal
Posts: 282
Nate, do you remember how were the settings in both cameras? Did you try to match the colors? I will be shooting a doc with 2 cameras next week and I haven't decided yet which to use, the DVX100A or the HD101. The colors on the DVX100 look better, but the HD100 has more resolution. Maybe with some adjustments you could have improved the colors on the HD100, did you try to do it?
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 08:28 PM   #20
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 658
Thanks for this, it's helpful
...can't wait to do this test again in about a month with the HVX200
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 09:38 PM   #21
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogo Athouguia
Nate, do you remember how were the settings in both cameras? Did you try to match the colors? I will be shooting a doc with 2 cameras next week and I haven't decided yet which to use, the DVX100A or the HD101. The colors on the DVX100 look better, but the HD100 has more resolution. Maybe with some adjustments you could have improved the colors on the HD100, did you try to do it?
Nooooo...the point of the test was resolution only. I've been using Tim's DVX color matrix settings on my HD100 and it's been matching DVX stuff closely enough.

The answer is, yes, the color settings could have been much better on that test for the HD100.

I can't think of a single reason to use the DVX over the HD100 for most purposes.
__________________
My Work: nateweaver.net
Nate Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 10:49 AM   #22
Trustee
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,719
Nate I would also love to see the DVX100 blown up compared to the HD100. I think we all know the HD100 will have more detail but just how much so. I know a lot of people who debate with me on the issue of if HD is even worth it. A lot of these people think good SD looks good enough even on a large plasma TV so they do not really see the advantage to HD at this point. I have taken HDV clips found on this forum from every current HDV camera and made a down converted DVD to show a bunch of people and while the stuff looked amazing they still swear there SD cameras look just as good. I tried pointing out the level of detail but they just didn't see it. Since we are all eventually moving to large HD displays at some point in the near future it would be nice to finally see what everything will look like displayed that way. As SD both look good with the HD100 having a slight advantage but how much of an advantage will the HD100 have when viewed as HD.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 02:58 PM   #23
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet
Nate I would also love to see the DVX100 blown up compared to the HD100.
It looks soft. But honestly, see for yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet
I think we all know the HD100 will have more detail but just how much so.
The difference in apparent sharpness is greater than just examining the numbers would suggest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet
I know a lot of people who debate with me on the issue of if HD is even worth it.
Considering the HD100 was only $2k more than a DVX, I probably would have paid that much more for the camera just for it's form factor, manual lens, and higher res in DV mode, HDV aside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet
A lot of these people think good SD looks good enough even on a large plasma TV so they do not really see the advantage to HD at this point.
Agreed. It's hard for the industry to sell HD sets when they keep advertising ED sets as HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet
I have taken HDV clips found on this forum from every current HDV camera and made a down converted DVD to show a bunch of people and while the stuff looked amazing they still swear there SD cameras look just as good. I tried pointing out the level of detail but they just didn't see it.
The people I shoot/direct for see and know the difference. They view the camera as a budget Varicam.
__________________
My Work: nateweaver.net
Nate Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 09:58 AM   #24
Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
Hi,

@Kevin, you know the rez for HDV is better and will mop the floor with the DVX100a. The problem is, there is no delivery method for HDV unless you're going straight to HDTV broadcast or to the web (DivX, WMV or QT-H264). You can't burn an HD DVD on any device so the HDV must be downsampled to SD in order to deliver a DVD. If Toshiba ever get's their act together then maybe we'll be able to deliver HD-DVD, until then it's downsample and archive or transfer to film hombre...
Actually I have a couple of HVD's and an HVD player (Chinese format) - all I need to work out is how to author the things (that seems to be a black Chinese art). Seems to be straight forward 720P MPEG 2 @ roughly 14Mb/s in a modified DVD format.

It's not really a delivery format, just an interesting niche
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 10:28 AM   #25
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 3,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mitchell
Actually I have a couple of HVD's and an HVD player (Chinese format) - all I need to work out is how to author the things (that seems to be a black Chinese art). Seems to be straight forward 720P MPEG 2 @ roughly 14Mb/s in a modified DVD format.

It's not really a delivery format, just an interesting niche
What about DVD Studio Pro 4?
http://www.apple.com/ca/finalcutstudio/dvdstudiopro/
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 12:56 PM   #26
Trustee
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Vancouver BC Canada
Posts: 1,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
, and higher res in DV mode, HDV aside.
Aside from offering 16x9 the resolution is the same. Or are you saying when you downsample to DV it looks better?
__________________
Damnit Jim, I'm a film maker not a sysytems tech.
Ken Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 02:28 PM   #27
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hodson
Aside from offering 16x9 the resolution is the same. Or are you saying when you downsample to DV it looks better?
It's not though. Since those tests I had a multicamera concert shoot with DVXs and my HD100 setup to DVX color settings. The HD100 isn't too hard to spot in the final edit.

Look for "Avenged Sevenfold, Live in Concert" on MTV2.

[edit: the effect is greater when shooting HDV and downsampling. Also, the difference between the DVX and HD100 in DV mode isn't "Oh my god, look at that!", but to my eye there's definitely a difference]
__________________
My Work: nateweaver.net
Nate Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 03:25 PM   #28
Trustee
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,214
Nate,

Is this what you shot?

http://www.mtv2.com/#series/19223

S.Noe
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 04:19 PM   #29
Trustee
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Vancouver BC Canada
Posts: 1,315
OK I see what your saying Nate. I thought you were actually talking spec rez as compared to the say the SD modes which are actually derived from more pixels.
__________________
Damnit Jim, I'm a film maker not a sysytems tech.
Ken Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 04:32 PM   #30
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
Nate,

Is this what you shot?

http://www.mtv2.com/#series/19223

S.Noe

Yeah, that's it. Myself and my producer Joe Grzeskowiak produced, I shot the front and center (FOH) camera on the HD100. I also edited, color-corrected, and onlined.

It's still not done either! Still compiling different versions with different songs for different outlets!
__________________
My Work: nateweaver.net
Nate Weaver is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:35 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network