DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Where to mount the Firestore? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/50814-where-mount-firestore.html)

Markus Bo September 9th, 2005 04:43 PM

Where to mount the Firestore?

Maybe anyone knows a little bit more about it but the photos I have seen show the harddisk on top where you usually mount the lights. By the way it looks quite cheap. Looking at my GY 5000 I ask myself if there isn't any smart solution to put it on the back?

Markus

George Johnston September 11th, 2005 01:27 PM

Mount it on the tripod

I mount my FS4 on the tripod, the good thing about the HD101 is that JVC have given us a 6 pin FW cable socket which is easily obtainable from any computer store. I use a velcro wrapped arround two legs of my tripod and use the belt clip provided to hook it onto.

Markus Bo September 12th, 2005 01:20 AM

Thanks for your reply, George. But I need a compact solution fixed on the camera. As I work for television and frequently for news you can imagine that the the tripod solution is not the best for me. I hope to find something to fix it - maybe with velcro as well to the battery pack.

Markus

George Johnston September 12th, 2005 02:27 AM

Watch the fan

The FS4 was not designed as a practical solution for use with any video cameras, the on camera solution looks very flimsey, if you are going to mount it on your camera be careful not to cover the fan outlet, I had the perfect solution when I found the FS4 slid neatly into a red IKEA pouch to discover this might just cause the unit to overheat ! If you are doing news can I suggest that you find a solution that attaches to you not the camera. Personally I don't think the FS4 was built with news in mind its not robust enough.

Markus Bo September 12th, 2005 02:50 AM

The overheat problem I already suffered with the Firestore docking disk for the JVC GY 5000. Even if it's designed especialy for the cam the spanish summer is harder than expected by Focus. I think I will wait and see. Maybe they present a better solution for the HD 100.

Markus

Tony Goodman September 16th, 2005 03:28 AM

Where to mount the Firestore

[QUOTE=Markus Bo]Maybe anyone knows a little bit more about it but the photos I have seen show the harddisk on top where you usually mount the lights. By the way it looks quite cheap. Looking at my GY 5000 I ask myself if there isn't any smart solution to put it on the back?

Markus

[Hi, This is my first post so, Hello everyone from sunny Liverpool in the UK. There is a company you may or not know in the UK called DSM. www.dsm-tech.com. This is a fantastic company which designs and manufactures batteries and lights. They are working on a rear mounted battery for the HD100 which will allow you to attach the Firestore . I do not know how they are going to do this yet but it sounds promising. They also are producing a battery which I believe will fit into the standard HD100 battery slot, will last about 3 hours (record time..they always quote record times and not standby) and will charge on the satandard JVC charger supplied with the camera! I think it will retail in the Uk for abou £60/70 so do not know what shipping would cost and if this would make it too expensive for you guys. I do not work for DSM or have any connections with then whatsoever but I think they are a great company to deal with.
I got my Hd100 a few days ago and quite simply...I LOVE it!! I agree with a earlier post, this is what I have been waiting for since I first picked up my Sony V200 standard 8 camera nearly 20 years ago. Anyone know that camera? What a great camera that was..I was looking at some footage I shot on it about 17 years ago recently and was amazed at how good the pictures looked for standard 8, sorry, this is a JVC forum isn't it!!!
Cheers for now
Tony]

Markus Bo September 16th, 2005 07:40 AM

Hi Tony,

welcome to the forum......you will love it like your cam. And thanks a lot for the hint to DSM, I stored the link to get back when they have a solution. I'm looking forward to buy the 101 but unfortunately I first have to sell my GY5000. Also a great cam but without any doubt I am so keen on getting the lighter and HDV version. I hope to hold it in my hands soon.

Regards

Markus

Gary Morris McBeath September 16th, 2005 10:08 AM

Here's another idea: Go to VFgadgets.com. They have a handle bracket, nicely made, with 1/4" and 3/8" threaded holes, for mounting nearly anything. You can even hang the camera under a jib boom and the like.

The bracket is designed to fit the Sony Z1 etc, but with a little neoprene shimming it works fine on my new HD100.

They are located in Toronto Canada, but are set up to ship internationally. Very good people to work with.

Hope this helps.

Gary
SaltAire Cinema Productions

Chris Hurd September 24th, 2005 04:18 PM

I second the motion for VFGadgets... met these folks at NAB back in April; they are very friendly, down to earth folks who know their gear. They have an excellent product line as well.

Markus Bo September 25th, 2005 03:53 AM

I think these products will help but I hope to get a solution on the back, docking the disk to a battery pack. I recently saw a photo where they put it on a lateral of a Bauer(?) pack.

My dealer told me that JVC is aware of the problem and the offical statement is that they are in talks with suppiers to find a better solution......so let's wait.

Markus

David Martland October 16th, 2005 06:32 AM

JVC GY HD100 3 hr battery, battery light and a rear Firestore Mount

Hello Dave Martland here from DSM UK

We know everyone wants everything on-camera, so here is what we have come up with.

With the help of JVC Pro, we have designed a high capacity Li-ion 3 hour battery that stands off the rear of a JVC Pro GY HD100 camera approx 25mm (1"). We have also designed a rear fitting Firestore mount, that fits behind our battery. The battery has a DC Jack socket and there will be a 7.4V to 12V upper unit, that will power up a Firestore without charging its battery.

We are also making a small 14.4V Li-ion battery for our 20/50 Video light that powers a 20W lamp for 75 minutes or with an adapter cable a Firestore for around 4 hours.

More details can be found on our website www.dsmpower.tv
I always welcome other peoples comments and ideas

John Mitchell October 16th, 2005 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markus Bo
Maybe anyone knows a little bit more about it but the photos I have seen show the harddisk on top where you usually mount the lights. By the way it looks quite cheap. Looking at my GY 5000 I ask myself if there isn't any smart solution to put it on the back?

Markus

Markus I'm sure I've seen an IDX version of the mount for the Firestore somewhere - you'd have to buy a mounting plate for it. The only problem with that solution is many broadcast receivers for radio mics are mounted in the same position. Check with Focus on the various field kits.

The camera I saw completely set up at this year's SMPTE which was used on the shoot for "REALITY CHECK" had the Firestore mounted up front and the radio receiver at back (along with every other bell and whistle you could think of, including zoom control, rails and matte box etc). However being so early it was probably a custom mount - it looked quite sturdy.

Markus Bo October 17th, 2005 11:54 AM

Hi guys,

thanks for the information. In deed I saw the IDX solution and it looks fine. But I think it will be better to have a more compact solution with just an hour or hour and a half of filming. So if David puts some photos and details on his site I would be able to have a clearer idea of what his solution looks like. Come on, show us more!

Markus

David Martland October 17th, 2005 12:48 PM

DSM GY-HD100 3 hour batteries

Hi all

I am hoping that the plastic injection mould tools will be ready this week. But I will up-load a photo of our concept battery on a camera to our website within the next few days.

Focus might be changing their Firestore mounting cradle, but we should still be able to make a rear mount for it.
If you want to see a drawing of the battery, you can e-mail me at info@dsmpower.tv

Mel Namnama December 29th, 2005 09:31 PM

for those with A.B. plates

Hello guys,

I received a Firestore for Christmas with the field kit. I did not want to extend
the length of the camera by mounting it on the back of an AB plate. I drilled a hole on the top of the A.B. plate ( the top plate that connects it to the camera), I disassembeled the Manfrotto cradle holder that came in the field kit and threaded the base through the the underside of the plate. Everything is secured and neatly screwed back on the superior side of the plate. I had to remove the original plastic battery release tab on the camera to get a good fit...but it surely fits.

Happy New Year !