DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   How do you wipe/erase HD100 tapes? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/508679-how-do-you-wipe-erase-hd100-tapes.html)

Warner Brown June 21st, 2012 02:12 AM

How do you wipe/erase HD100 tapes?

Hey guys,
So I'm trying to clear footage from Sony HDV tapes, I can't find any sortof setting to wipe them off. I guess I could shoot black for 62 mins somewhere quiet, but I'm curious if there is a way to manually wipe the tapes inboard back to default blue screen etc. Any suggestions so appreciated, Thanks

Allan Black June 21st, 2012 03:30 AM

Re: How do you wipe/erase HD100 tapes?

We used a Garner CDS-3500A belt degausser it'll do it in 2 mins with one pass but they're very expensive.

Degausser Information

For a one off exercise you need a similar rig like that, try calling your local TV and radio outlets, or call this crowd for a one off job, they're not far fom you.
GARNER HD-1 HIGH ENERGY MAGNETIC TAPE DEGAUSSER-USED WITH NEW SHIPPING CASE | eBay

Before you start running it, put your credit cards in a safe place and take your watch off, it'll rip the hands off it :)
Not really but it will erase the magnetic strip on your credit cards .. clean as a whistle :)

Cheers.

Chris Soucy June 21st, 2012 07:52 PM

I kinda curious as to why you're trying to wipe HDV tapes, unless you're trying to destroy some evidence.

If taping over them with new video doesn't obliterate anything already there, there's a fault with your camera, so there's no reason to blank them using an external device.

CS

Allan Black June 21st, 2012 10:19 PM

With 100 recorded tapes, I'd always bulk erase them and go out of my way to do it.

Taping over them to wipe existing footage would be a long term pain. You'd have 2 piles, erased and non erased with the likelyhood of mixing them together.

And in practical terms, if you just record over the top of a full tape of existing video recordings, you'll always have trouble finding the end of your latest take with the End Search function.

In 99% of cases, your machine will fast forward to the end of the previous unwanted material.

Cheers.

Warner Brown June 22nd, 2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Soucy (Post 1739531)
I kinda curious as to why you're trying to wipe HDV tapes, unless you're trying to destroy some evidence.

If taping over them with new video doesn't obliterate anything already there, there's a fault with your camera, so there's no reason to blank them using an external device.

CS

Chris,
I want to wipe the tapes so I can possibly sell them used online. Some tapes have footage from the previous owner, which I had no problem shooting over/importing footage etc. so they're still pretty usable. I'm just going to tape black over it all.

Warner Brown June 22nd, 2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allan Black (Post 1739552)
With 100 recorded tapes, I'd always bulk erase them and go out of my way to do it.

Taping over them to wipe existing footage would be a long term pain. You'd have 2 piles, erased and non erased with the likelyhood of mixing them together.

And in practical terms, if you just record over the top of a full tape of existing video recordings, you'll always have trouble finding the end of your latest take with the End Search function.

In 99% of cases, your machine will fast forward to the end of the previous unwanted material.

Cheers.

thanks for the info.I see what you mean
hmm..

Ervin Farkas June 23rd, 2012 07:45 PM

Warner,

Mini DV tapes sell almost for pennies nowadays; adding 100 hours to the counter of your HD100 will diminish the value of the camera more than what you would get selling those tapes... if you can sell them... no videographer in his right mind will buy used tapes for $2 when he can get new ones for $3. Not worth the risk of dropouts.

Warner Brown June 24th, 2012 07:10 PM

Yeah, I must've been looking at the wrong prices for the wrong tapes on Ebay. Definitely not worth the trouble!

Lee Mullen June 27th, 2012 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Soucy (Post 1739531)

CS

Are you a copper??

Chris Soucy June 27th, 2012 10:08 PM

Nope, probably closer to Zinc, on reflection.

CS

Lee Mullen June 27th, 2012 11:05 PM

thank you Britten...

Chris Soucy June 28th, 2012 12:24 AM

Betcha you don't know the other one, good luck.

CS

Lee Mullen June 28th, 2012 05:39 AM

Dont want to thanks.