How do you wipe/erase HD100 tapes? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 21st, 2012, 02:12 AM   #1
New Boot

How do you wipe/erase HD100 tapes?

Hey guys,
So I'm trying to clear footage from Sony HDV tapes, I can't find any sortof setting to wipe them off. I guess I could shoot black for 62 mins somewhere quiet, but I'm curious if there is a way to manually wipe the tapes inboard back to default blue screen etc. Any suggestions so appreciated, Thanks
Old June 21st, 2012, 03:30 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: How do you wipe/erase HD100 tapes?

We used a Garner CDS-3500A belt degausser it'll do it in 2 mins with one pass but they're very expensive.

Degausser Information

For a one off exercise you need a similar rig like that, try calling your local TV and radio outlets, or call this crowd for a one off job, they're not far fom you.
GARNER HD-1 HIGH ENERGY MAGNETIC TAPE DEGAUSSER-USED WITH NEW SHIPPING CASE | eBay

Before you start running it, put your credit cards in a safe place and take your watch off, it'll rip the hands off it :)
Not really but it will erase the magnetic strip on your credit cards .. clean as a whistle :)

Cheers.
Old June 21st, 2012, 07:52 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I kinda curious as to why you're trying to wipe HDV tapes, unless you're trying to destroy some evidence.

If taping over them with new video doesn't obliterate anything already there, there's a fault with your camera, so there's no reason to blank them using an external device.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 10:19 PM   #4
Inner Circle

With 100 recorded tapes, I'd always bulk erase them and go out of my way to do it.

Taping over them to wipe existing footage would be a long term pain. You'd have 2 piles, erased and non erased with the likelyhood of mixing them together.

And in practical terms, if you just record over the top of a full tape of existing video recordings, you'll always have trouble finding the end of your latest take with the End Search function.

In 99% of cases, your machine will fast forward to the end of the previous unwanted material.

Cheers.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 02:41 PM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
I kinda curious as to why you're trying to wipe HDV tapes, unless you're trying to destroy some evidence.

If taping over them with new video doesn't obliterate anything already there, there's a fault with your camera, so there's no reason to blank them using an external device.

CS
Chris,
I want to wipe the tapes so I can possibly sell them used online. Some tapes have footage from the previous owner, which I had no problem shooting over/importing footage etc. so they're still pretty usable. I'm just going to tape black over it all.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 02:51 PM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
With 100 recorded tapes, I'd always bulk erase them and go out of my way to do it.

Taping over them to wipe existing footage would be a long term pain. You'd have 2 piles, erased and non erased with the likelyhood of mixing them together.

And in practical terms, if you just record over the top of a full tape of existing video recordings, you'll always have trouble finding the end of your latest take with the End Search function.

In 99% of cases, your machine will fast forward to the end of the previous unwanted material.

Cheers.
thanks for the info.I see what you mean
hmm..
Old June 23rd, 2012, 07:45 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Warner,

Mini DV tapes sell almost for pennies nowadays; adding 100 hours to the counter of your HD100 will diminish the value of the camera more than what you would get selling those tapes... if you can sell them... no videographer in his right mind will buy used tapes for $2 when he can get new ones for $3. Not worth the risk of dropouts.
Old June 24th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #8
New Boot

Yeah, I must've been looking at the wrong prices for the wrong tapes on Ebay. Definitely not worth the trouble!
Old June 27th, 2012, 06:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post

CS
Are you a copper??
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 10:08 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Nope, probably closer to Zinc, on reflection.

CS
Old June 27th, 2012, 11:05 PM   #11

thank you Britten...
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 12:24 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Betcha you don't know the other one, good luck.

CS
Old June 28th, 2012, 05:39 AM   #13

Dont want to thanks.
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems